NEW OUTLAW Performance Intake

Dylan06SS

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This Gtech pro doesn't have any measurement devices of its own. From what I understand it uses the onboard diagnostics the vehicle is equipped with. In our case, it is OBDII. You should really be more concerned with the sampling rate and any A/D converter that may be used with the DAQ (data acquisition) system. If you have any losses, this is where you should find it. In my estimation, the gtech software simply takes data values from the ecm and makes calculations of hp/tq from those values. I'm not that impressed. Does anyone know what the sampling rate is on the gtech pro? If you're on the gas and accelerating as we all know the SS is capable of, they may have some aliasing error if the sampling rate is not adequate. :dunno:

It uses accelerometers (something like that). I know what you are talking about though the devices that plug into the OBDport and use the ecm sensors. That type is not as accurate because of the same stuff you mentioned.

I remember the old Gtech sucked,(my early ricer days, hold the comments) but the new one was suppose to be hightech (More accelerometers).

I thought about getting one seeing how the SS on a dyno is like next to impossible.

Here is the site, but the stuff seems pretty technical beyond my comprehension. I have also seen other forums praising the Gtech. (The Gtech cost is my only hesitation)

Here is the site anyways, hopefully someone technically oriented can give a better explain on it or a comment on someone that owns one!

http://www.gtechpro.com/

The spec says they are sampling at 10hz. If they are using accelerometers, I don't know that I would trust a 10hz sampling rate. 10Hz sampling rate means they take 10 samples per second. When I do vibration DAQ utilizing accelerometers, I rarely use anything less than 1000 hz. :dunno: I'm not convinced. I don't know that I would base any test results off of the gtech pro. It is quick and affordable method of getting a ballpark figure on HP and TQ. Just my opinion... :jester:

Dylan,

Thanks for taking the time to post your results. It is interesting to see that Volant and Stock are slower 0 to 40 mph EVERY time of the 12 runs you made.

Making more HP and TQ are great but what really matters is if it makes my SS quicker. It looks like Outlaw can deliver.

Like I said in my original post guys: I know the Gtech isn't ever going to be the best meathod to test something, but since we're dealing w/ AWD its not like I could've just put the thing on a dyno to get results.

The way I look at it is that if we're using the same vehicle, on the same road, on the same day, at the same temp, w/ the same measurement tools, making 4 runs and AVERAGEING the best 3 for each you're going to get a general idea of which system is performing the best. I wouldn't look at the data as a "how much HP/TQ am I going to gain" but as a way to determine that one system is better than the other at making the truck faster.

Simple answer is I can line up w/ another SS w/ the same mods as me and if he has the volant I'd beat him to 40mph by almost a 1/10th. THATS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME! :smash:

Fair enough... :cheers:

You really didn't even gain a .1 s over factory (@60ft). You gained 6ms over factory(@60ft). Surely a different intake would gain more than that??? :confused:

Just curious, how many runs did you do? Within a given set of runs (stock, volant, outlaw), what was the range of each prior to averaging the data?

I just called Volant up and told them i wanted a new intake since they just came out with a new one for our trucks and they said they wold send me a new one out if i paid for shipping.

i emailed them twice and never got a response...i called once but no one answered...see if you can get 2 from them..

cost me $16.20 shipped

was sent out today

should help out with the hp loss

their phone # is (909) 476-7225

I made dozens of phone calls

sent dozens of e-mails

mailed a letter that was drafted here on the site

AND... I live just up the road from their offices so I made an appearance in person.

Response to all these actions was the same.... NONE! :mad:

I never got a response and when I showed up in person I got the... "no one is available to speak w/ you now." treatment. :banghead:

F*CK Volant! If they don't want to take care of me my business is best given to a company that will.

Fair enough...  :cheers:

You really didn't even gain a .1 s over factory (@60ft).  You gained 6ms over factory(@60ft).  Surely a different intake would gain more than that??? :confused:

Just curious, how many runs did you do?  Within a given set of runs (stock, volant, outlaw), what was the range of each prior to averaging the data?

4 runs per system and best 3 averaged for each.

I wasn't really looking at 60' gains... your never going to see that much of a gain in 60' from just a CAI. Thats why we were testing the 0-40mph times... kept it in first gear that way and we were working w/ a limited space to make the runs.

Archived