Smoked Tail Lights

04CHASE

either summit of jegs sells the vht niteshades paint which is a clear black or spry tint. and for the best clear in a can i like the testors high gloss i think 1814 is the # on the little can. you can find it at hoby people or a local hobby store. but i have found it turns yellow after a while of being in the sun so i like real automotive clear coat best it last and is much more durable!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ballagh, you forgot the third brake light.

is your truck fixed now? You had that accident if i remember right......

yeah a local stealership had it for a little over a month and $11k later in repairs it was fixed...although when they had it apart they never recharged the a/c so I made them fix it and put a new compressor on it

I know you were looking for the brake vents...they stripped the truck down in a day and trashed everything before I could get back there to snag it.

Edit: The passenger door still doesn't shut right (doesn't close flush).

Ballagh, you forgot the third brake light.

is your truck fixed now? You had that accident if i remember right......

yeah a local stealership had it for a little over a month and $11k later in repairs it was fixed...although when they had it apart they never recharged the a/c so I made them fix it and put a new compressor on it

I know you were looking for the brake vents...they stripped the truck down in a day and trashed everything before I could get back there to snag it.

Edit: The passenger door still doesn't shut right (doesn't close flush).

what bastards....i hate repairs cause its never the same....try and go back there and bitch them out

• 10 months later...

I'm going to try and do this either tomorrow or Tuesday, I was wondering where I can get the night shade paint...I really dont want to have to order it online. Would a hobby store have it, along w/ the clear coat...Thanks :):chevy::)

a few local import shops sell it around here. you can get it at your local hobby store and get a transparent black it works good. but the clear coat needs to be a automotive paint . the rattle can clear just wont hold up over time.

Sprayed99 (Danny) did this

"I took GM 41U WA8555 which is the PPG DBC direct match to the Onyx Black. Mixed up 5 drops of base per oz. of PPG Clear base. I did 5 coats and the light barely shines through, but thats what I wanted. Finished it with 3 coats of PPG 2021 Clear. "

ebay024-1.jpg

GibbsTruck012.jpg

Sprayed99 (Danny) did this

"I took GM 41U WA8555 which is the PPG DBC direct match to the Onyx Black. Mixed up 5 drops of base per oz. of PPG Clear base. I did 5 coats and the light barely shines through, but thats what I wanted. Finished it with 3 coats of PPG 2021 Clear. "

ebay024-1.jpg

GibbsTruck012.jpg

sweet thats what mine are like

DSCI0105.jpg

holla peeps, new here!!!

I've recently aquired a 2006 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab with the 5.3L V8. No special SS or anything of that nature as far as I know. I've been eyein around for months on how to smoke my tails with out using paint. I had that done on my 2002 Mazda, and just couldn't get past the fact that they werent near as shiny as stock. Now i've heard of some companies making a 3M Clear Laminate that goes over the lights like Reverse Tint so it smokes the light, allows light to shine through, and still maintains that original stock taillight shine!!! I've purchased the same thing for my Headlights online and am still awaiting for them to arrive. Unfortunately because our taillights have those pop outs they dont make a precut overlay for them, only the headlights. but they do sell individual 24x12, 24x24 and so on and so on. so that you can free form and mold it yourself, i'm just not sure how i feel about attempting that. I'll post pictures of the headlights after the install and see how i feel about doing that to do it on my tails as well. Here is the link of the website i purchased from.

http://www.decalfx.com/pre_cut_lens_film_kits.html

Let me know what you all think.

holla peeps, new here!!!

I've recently aquired a 2006 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab with the 5.3L V8. No special SS or anything of that nature as far as I know. I've been eyein around for months on how to smoke my tails with out using paint. I had that done on my 2002 Mazda, and just couldn't get past the fact that they werent near as shiny as stock. Now i've heard of some companies making a 3M Clear Laminate that goes over the lights like Reverse Tint so it smokes the light, allows light to shine through, and still maintains that original stock taillight shine!!! I've purchased the same thing for my Headlights online and am still awaiting for them to arrive. Unfortunately because our taillights have those pop outs they dont make a precut overlay for them, only the headlights. but they do sell individual 24x12, 24x24 and so on and so on. so that you can free form and mold it yourself, i'm just not sure how i feel about attempting that. I'll post pictures of the headlights after the install and see how i feel about doing that to do it on my tails as well. Here is the link of the website i purchased from.

http://www.decalfx.com/pre_cut_lens_film_kits.html

Let me know what you all think.

whoever did yours must not have done them correctly . if you clear them after with the right clear and you know how to properly paint they will shine better than your paint and far better than they came stock. ive seen the film its nice because its removable just painting to me is easier and you can copntrol on how dark you want them. not to mention you can mask off the reverse lights without having to cut it out with a blade.

Archived