Home Depot'd My Cai And Dropped My Iat 20 Degrees!

SUX2BU

So i installed this $60 Ebay no name intake a few months ago. CAI And i always wanted to seal it off from the engine bay, just never got around to it. Well my buddy was tuning it and told me if i got my IAT's down he could add a little more timing (idling for 20 minutes or so in the Texas heat with the A/C on full blast my IAT's were at 135*). So he suggested i seal off the air box. I did one better and made a crappy little scoop that gets fresh air from under the front bumper. Well i tried the idle for 20 min with A/C blasting test (outside temp was about the same) and my IAT's came down to about 115*. Even better is once i start moving they drop down to outside temp in a few seconds. Before at a stop light they would climb from 90* to about 117* then very slowly drop back down when i started moving. Now they climb from 90* to about 95* and drop back down to 90* in about 4 seconds after i start moving. I know it looks goofy but i don't care, it works.

All i used was some waxed cardboard i had laying around, flashing tape (you use this stuff to seal around doors and windows in your house) and some thermal barrier stuff. Spent like $20 total.

286193.jpg

286194.jpg

286195.jpg

286196.jpg

286197.jpg

286198.jpg

286199.jpg

286200.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh i also repositioned the neck on my water pump because the radiator hose was on the bottom of my intake tube, which would heat it up. Also went ahead and took out my thermostat today and it's running quite a bit cooler, so my IAT's might have come down even more.

286201.jpg

286202.jpg

286203.jpg

286204.jpg

put in a 160 stat. your thermostat is essential to keeping the engine cool. the trapped fluid in the radiator cools while the cool water in the engine heats up. When the engine gets warm the thermostat swaps the fluid. By removing you just circulating hot fluid threw your motor eventually it will cause problems. Also that water pump neck can be moved with out welding. Good thinking on your part with house hold items but the better resolve is buy a volant and it will do a better job on your iats and it will look nice when you pop your hood.

Nice thinking, but I think you should relieve that coolant hose. It looks like its been stretched. After time, it will cause probs, and may burst.

It's not stretched, it just didn't have a bend there. So it looks funny. I'm gonna twist it a little so it doesn't look so funny.

put in a 160 stat. your thermostat is essential to keeping the engine cool. the trapped fluid in the radiator cools while the cool water in the engine heats up. When the engine gets warm the thermostat swaps the fluid. By removing you just circulating hot fluid threw your motor eventually it will cause problems. Also that water pump neck can be moved with out welding. Good thinking on your part with house hold items but the better resolve is buy a volant and it will do a better job on your iats and it will look nice when you pop your hood.

I've been working on these motors for about 10 years so i know what I'm doing.

BTW that's not how a thermostat works. A thermostat keeps coolant from circulating through the radiator until it gets up to a certain temp. then the thermostat begins to slowly opens to start circulating coolant through the radiator. The hotter the motor gets the farther the thermostat opens. When the motor cools off the thermostat closes a bit to reduce the flow of coolant through the radiator.

Yes, the water pump neck can be turned, but not angled down without cutting and welding. i've done this to a few truck water pumps to put in F bodies.

I don't care what my truck looks like under the hood. If painting my motor pink and putting dog poop all over it would make my truck faster then that's what I'd do. I'm a do it yourself budget racer, anybody can be a check book racer.

Just though i would share my ideas. :cheers:

Edited by SUX2BU (see edit history)

You are correct in your statement on how the T-stat works, but taking the T-stat out is still not a smart thing to do. Your theory is ok. Cooler temps is better, but only to a certain degree.

The reason the thermostat is there is, like you said, to block flow to the radiator until the engine reaches its operating temp. By removing the thermo stat you are allowing the coolant to circ through the radiator at all times. While this WILL frop the ect's it will most likely drop it too much. If you do not reach a certain operating range, you will not go into closed loop. This will actually DECREASE the engines effieceny and will prove to be a LOSE of power. If you want to run cooler ect's then do it the smart way. Either lower the temp the fan comes on at, or put in a lower temp stat. By doing so you will allow it to run in closed loop and decrease temps.

There is nothing wrong with being a "do it yourself budget racer" but do it smart, and don't start talking down to people. Just because people like to protect there investment and do things properly doesn't make them a "check book racer". :rant:

Rob :chevy:

You are correct in your statement on how the T-stat works, but taking the T-stat out is still not a smart thing to do. Your theory is ok. Cooler temps is better, but only to a certain degree.

The reason the thermostat is there is, like you said, to block flow to the radiator until the engine reaches its operating temp. By removing the thermo stat you are allowing the coolant to circ through the radiator at all times. While this WILL frop the ect's it will most likely drop it too much. If you do not reach a certain operating range, you will not go into closed loop. This will actually DECREASE the engines effieceny and will prove to be a LOSE of power. If you want to run cooler ect's then do it the smart way. Either lower the temp the fan comes on at, or put in a lower temp stat. By doing so you will allow it to run in closed loop and decrease temps.

There is nothing wrong with being a "do it yourself budget racer" but do it smart, and don't start talking down to people. Just because people like to protect there investment and do things properly doesn't make them a "check book racer". :rant:

Rob :chevy:

I didn't mean check book racer as an insult. Some people don't like to get dirty and just pay someone to do all their mods for them. I prefer to do everything myself and as cheap as possible so i can spend the cash on other mods. My truck is tuned for the fans to come on sooner ans i know all about closed loop, and an engine's best operating temperature. What you have to understand is I'm in Texas and have a 6,000 lb SUV with a 3200 stall that see's 90% stop and go traffic with the A/C blasting on max at all times. So the 95* air first goes through my tranny cooler (which is working overtime with this stall, got my 40k on the way), then gets heated even more gouing through the condenser and my radiator also has the two coolers in it on either tank (primary tranny cooler on passenger side and the oil cooler on the drivder's side). So my radiator see's ALOT of heat. With a modded stock thermostat (should be equivilent to about a 180* thermostat) ny temps were at 210* at night. With no thermostat they are at 200* in the middle of the day and about 190* at night.

I know that taking out the thermostat may over cool the engine, but that is not a problem in my case. I constantly have my Tech 2 hooked up to it monitering my IAT's, engine and tranny temps.

So i really do know what i'm doing. And i really don't mean to sound like an ass, or anything. I just like gettting into debates about car stuff.

I didn't mean check book racer as an insult. Some people don't like to get dirty and just pay someone to do all their mods for them.

I do it not because I don't like to get dirty but because I have no idea what I am doing...If I was lucky enough to have grown up around building engines and what not i'm sure i would save alot of money myself in doing it myself...But instead I'm stuck having to depend on my good friends to help me.

Every vehicle that I have had experience witht hat had the stat removed actualy overheats after enough driving. It takes longer to get up to operating temp, but once there, it just continues to climb. There isn't enough resonance time in the radiator to swap the heat. Just my experience tho, too high a flow through any heat exchange decreases it's efficiency. Never tried it on an LS motor tho so if you are monitoring it and don't see that, I can't argue. Good luck.

It's not stretched, it just didn't have a bend there. So it looks funny. I'm gonna twist it a little so it doesn't look so funny.

BTW that's not how a thermostat works. A thermostat keeps coolant from circulating through the radiator until it gets up to a certain temp. then the thermostat begins to slowly opens to start circulating coolant through the radiator. The hotter the motor gets the farther the thermostat opens. When the motor cools off the thermostat closes a bit to reduce the flow of coolant through the radiator.

Yes, the water pump neck can be turned, but not angled down without cutting and welding. i've done this to a few truck water pumps to put in F bodies.

I don't care what my truck looks like under the hood. If painting my motor pink and putting dog poop all over it would make my truck faster then that's what I'd do. I'm a do it yourself budget racer, anybody can be a check book racer.

Just though i would share my ideas. :cheers:

you just restated what i said and if you have been working on these motors for 10 years then you would have some pride in your work. Im a do it your self guy as well i have never had a shop do one thing on my truck. Its been me or me and danny. I was nice in my response next time ill just say that looks like cobbled shit and no one on this site would even think of doing that to their nice SS.

I have been working on the gen 3/4 engines for about 10 years also, I would never cobble a bunch of BS together....I would be embrassed to show that to people. looks like a bunch of toothless hill billys in the trailor park using pieces of a old water heater......Christ man take some pride in your work..

:rant: