Granatelli Motorsports/Diablo Sport Programmer

jhbar

I purchased the Diablo Predator and attempted to install the performance upgrade in my SS yesterday. The programmer had a difficult time communicating with the ECM and errored out several times, before it finally completed an upload. Upon starting the vehicle after the install, the message indicator displayed "REDUCED ENGINE POWER". After driving the truck a few hundred yards, I noticed something was just not right and then a check engine light came on. I cleared the code using the Predator and decided to return the SS to stock settings. Again the programmer had a difficult time communicating and errored out, never completing the reinstall of the factory program. When I went to start the SS after unplugging the programmer, there was nothing. It wouldn't turn over, the fuel pump wouldn't cycle, and it wouldn't even register that it was in park. Fortunately, I have OnStar and the vehicle was towed to the dealer where I bought it. The programmer had completely wiped out the ECM, so the dealer had to remove it and put in a new one.

Regardless of what the people at Granatelli or Diablo tell you, their product is not compatible with the SS. I was on the phone with three different people at Granatelli today and they have nothing to offer in the way of a solution. They actually believe their programmer is fine, that there is something special about the build of my SS. Bottom line is that the programmer is a first rate piece of junk, that is cheaply put together, by a company that makes great promises, without the support to back it up. I strongly recommend against purchasing the Granatelli/Diablo Predator for the SS.

Man that just makes one :puke: when you can't convince the people you purchased it from that it just does not work, unbelivable :fume: - Some how they should be responsible for the trouble you had and any expences you had getting the SS back running!! Let us know how it goes!

For some reason I'm thinking Diablo won't be doing a whole lot of business with SS owners. It's just a prediction. :jester:

It amazes me the support that some of these companies give. God forbid they admit that their unit may be screwed up.

Hope you didn't lose any money with getting it fixed.

That Wester's thingamajig is looking better everyday!

I purchased the Diablo Predator and attempted to install the performance upgrade in my SS yesterday.  The programmer had a difficult time communicating with the ECM and errored out several times, before it finally completed an upload.  Upon starting the vehicle after the install, the message indicator displayed "REDUCED ENGINE POWER".  After driving the truck a few hundred yards, I noticed something was just not right and then a check engine light came on.  I cleared the code using the Predator and decided to return the SS to stock settings.  Again the programmer had a difficult time communicating and errored out, never completing the reinstall of the factory program.  When I went to start the SS after unplugging the programmer, there was nothing.  It wouldn't turn over, the fuel pump wouldn't cycle, and it wouldn't even register that it was in park.  Fortunately, I have OnStar and the vehicle was towed to the dealer where I bought it.  The programmer had completely wiped out the ECM, so the dealer had to remove it and put in a new one.

Regardless of what the people at Granatelli or Diablo tell you, their product is not compatible with the SS.  I was on the phone with three different people at Granatelli today and they have nothing to offer in the way of a solution.  They actually believe their programmer is fine, that there is something special about the build of my SS.  Bottom line is that the programmer is a first rate piece of junk, that is cheaply put together, by a company that makes great promises, without the support to back it up.  I strongly recommend against purchasing the Granatelli/Diablo Predator for the SS.

Humm.... Sorry to hear of your misfortune. The SS doesn't like to be programed with the computer in the truck!! :wtf: With the body control module taking up bus(sp) space it has a lot of trouble maintaining a good connection. Some trucks do fine but others have the same issue yours did. Good hunting...

Fortunately the dealer took care of the ECM under warranty, because when it failed, there was no information left in it.

Truckperformance.com definately didn't ship the wrong programmer, because Granatelli/Diablo only offers one part number for all GM truck products, including the Escalade.

On a positive note, the head tech at the dealership runs a Hypertech programmer in his Duramax and said he would be willing to help me with the upload when Hypertech releases the programmer for the SS. I'll be sure to post, when that time arrives.

Archived