New camera, hazy day and nothing to do equals...

Lee

...a photo shoot. I've been waiting for an overcast day since I got my camera so I could go out and "play around." We don't get many hazy days around here in the summer. This is a big deal for folks in Phx. and perfect for shooting reflective objects like cars because you don't get all those harsh reflections.

Anyway, here are some of my efforts. I was not trying to shoot the whole vehicle as we've all seen what SS's look like. I was doing the kind of "abstract" shooting I might have done back in Atlanta for a magazine ad.

It also occurred to me that many of you probably don't know how to photograph highly reflective things like chrome wheels etc. so I took a picture of my setup to shoot a closeup of the wheel. As chrome is nothing more that a mirror you want to put something solid and white in front of the wheel and just behind the camera. It could be a white board like I used or just suspend a sheet somehow. That way, when you take the picture of the wheel you are seeing the white refection in the chrome and not neighbors yard (or you taking the picture ;) ). Automotive photographers who work for the auto companies have hugh studios and special rooms that are nothing but seemless white walls so you see nothing in the chrome, paint or windows when the shot is taken.

I have been thinking of doing some paint mods to mine so I altered the bowtie and front air intakes in Photoshop in two of the pictures to see what it would look like.

Fullside.jpg

Bowtie.jpg

Side.JPG

Tire.jpg

Wheel.jpg

Howto.jpg

Great pictures, my man. I know in that weather you have there, that it hasn't been like a month since you washed it has it? I've washed mine like 8 times in the last seven weeks. And yours looks cleaner!!

The computer alterations of color look really good, you should make happen. Thanks for the pic tips. Sounds kind of funny.

Great pics Lee! I am also into digital photo. Not professionally but I like to have fun with it. Been way too busy to shoot "good" pics of the truck. Anyway, your truck looks so clean you can eat off it! :D As for the rims, they look sweeeeet :thumbs: Those tires are really cool as well. What kind are they? I was trying to read them but couldn't get the full name. I would like a set of those or similar to those next.

Thanks for the info on pic taking. Makes alot of sense but something I would never think of doing. Good job. :cheers:

The "photoshoping" of the grill and brake ducts looks sharp!!! The dark gray really goes nice against the red. I think you may need to do that for real ! The bow tie looks sharp too. :thumbs:

Thanks guys. It was fun just shooting the semi-closeups. I got tired of shooting the whole truck after I posted the first snaps a few months ago. You can also get such cool images by moving in closer.

Ben,

Regarding washing - it's been a month since I washed with Dawn to strip off the old wax for Zaino but, truth is, this truck has never been washed before or since - four months now. My wheel wells look just like the truck did when it was new. I "wash" with a damp rag and then Z6 it. :D Living in a place that rarely has rain has it's advantages. :cool:

Hunter,

The tires are Falken H (I think it's H???) rated at 137 mph all day long with a tread guarantee of 50,000 miles. . Size - 305/45/22. Expect to pay in the neighborhood of $305\325 each. ;)

Dave,

I really like the way the black grill and lower "air ducts" looked too. As a matter of fact I went out yesterday to get some of the new Krylon Fusion paint for plactics and could not find any. Everyone was sold out of matt black. I like the way the bowtie looked too but wonder what it would cost to paint something so small. You're obviously paying for labor and cleanup, not paint. Probably more expensive then the job is worth. We'll see.

On my monitor, it looks like a very dark gray, kinda like a dark gun metal color. Monitor adjustment is such a black art :sick: I use a "cheapo" calibration program that gets me in the ball park but the pro stuff with the suction cup calibration device it pretty expensive.

I don't think a matte color would be a good idea, semi gloss or gloss would be better. You know what happens to matte paint when you do your cleaning and waxing :D

Great pics Lee. :cheers: I really like the photo lesson. I'm going to save that to a file for future reference. I"ve done a little shooting with a 35mm but don't have a digital but planning on buying one soon. I agree with Dave that your front would look great with those changes. I really like the Bowtie. I want to do my bowtie in black with a red line and my lower ducts I would like to do in a dull gray. Thanks a bunch for the info and pics..

Ben,

Regarding washing - it's been a month since I washed with Dawn to strip off the old wax for Zaino but, truth is, this truck has never been washed before or since - four months now. My wheel wells look just like the truck did when it was new. I "wash" with a damp rag and then Z6 it.  :D   Living in a place that rarely has rain has it's advantages.  :cool:

You know what Lee, you could have lied and said, "hell no, I just washed this morning." That just freaking blows. I get more moisture from dew in the morning than your truck has even seen!

I can't complain though. Paying $1.45 for 93 octane has it's tradeoff, I guess.

-Ben

Lee, You've got some talent going on there! Nice shot's of your beautiful RED truck. :D Bring your camera's with you when you come up here to collect your free beer's and maybe you can get me some good shot's of my ride. Your wheel's are awesome!!! :cheers:

Ben,

Okay, okay I lied, bro. It did get wet once. I was going south on one of our main roads and ran across some water. I just hate that, don't you. :P Evidently someones irrigation system broke and there was water in the road. Damn stuff came off the tires and got the side of Mr. Happy all wet. Damn!!!! Does that count? It got a little wet. It's almost like rain, right? Ben..........right? I had to clean if off when I got home. :D

Dan,

After much debate between the Nikon D100 and the Canon 10D I decided on the Canon.

Dave,

You're right about the matt vs. Semi Gloss paint. I don't know why I said matt as I was looking for semi-gloss when I went shopping. I did that once at Home D about a year ago, too. Went into the store to get some semi-gloss for the house, unconscionably asked for matt and didn't realize my mistake until I got home. Good thing for Home D's liberal return policy. I seem to have matt on the mind when I think of paint. :crazy:

Dale,

Thanks. You got a deal on the camera offer. I'll bring it along when I come up to your Portland "Cheers." And, I could not agree more, RED is the only color. :D

Ken,

Glad I could be of some help with the photo tip. If you ever have any questions regarding your photography just drop me an email and I'll see if I can help. :thumbs:

Very nice pics Lee, undeniably :cool:

Question: Where and how did you get your nurf bars put on. The aftermarket guy at my dealer was unable to fix me up with them. Said they couldn't be mounted due to the body molding, he even checked w/the factory and they didn't have a solution! :sigh:

Thanks

Eric

Archived