Somthing to make you think

SS Silv

A plane is standing on a runway that can move (some sort of band conveyer). The plane moves in one direction, while the conveyer moves in the opposite direction. This conveyer has a control system that tracks the plane speed and tunes the speed of the conveyer to be exactly the same (but in opposite direction).

The question is:

Will the plane take off or not? Will it be able to run up and take off?

yes or no, I'm sure this will create a ton of different views and opinions, I've read on other forums where it went up to 70 pages...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

after thinking about this for a few minutes i woul dhave to say even thouugh the engines are propelling the air plane to move on the belt i dont think it would have enough air/wind to lift the thing but its still got me thining , great question!

There will be very little movement:

Even tho the propellers are rotating, the mass is stationary. Once you have the forward thrust of the plane , AND the propellers working together, the work (strain) required will lessen then you have your lift and movement.

Take for instance one of those rubber band airplanes. Twist it up and get it under load.... release it and dont chuck it. It just about falls to the ground.

Now do the same and throw it !.....You have flight

For it to take flight as described by MrP, you would propably need to have a "HUGE" propeller and little mass. Then you dont even need the conveyor.

my .02

George Arasimowicz

Mechanical Design Engineer

Edmunds Gages

45 Spring Lane

Farmington, CT. 06032

Is this assuming a prop plane or a jet?

A jet I don't think would be able to move, because there is no wind over the wings, because the engines are usually mounted below or behind the main wings..

A prop plane that blows the air over the wings via the propellor might have a chance. Depends on if it can build enough low pressure at the top of the wing compared to the higher pressure at the bottom of the wing..

I dunno though.. :confused:

My brain hurts.. :smash:

DCairns.. we need your input here!

Lift is created by wind flowing over the top of the wing slower than the bottom of the wing. The difference in air speed causes a reduced pressure on the top of the wing which causes it to rise.

The combination of wing shape, wind speed and angle of attack along with several other factors determine the amount of lift developed.

So if the wheels are spinning at 100 knots and the wing is standing still relative to the surrounding air all you will do is were out the tires. I.E. no air flowing over the wing then no lifty...no lifty then no fliee.

Another way to answer the question is to reverse it. In a wind tunnel the model aircraft don't move anywhere but they fly in the tunnel because the wind is moving over the wing.

Steve you allways find new ways for me to waste time....lol

Archived