Heads and cam SS

BigTex

Man, have I got some info. Too bad I can't type worth a darn.

Local LS1 speed shop had an SS. They needed to borrow my LS1 edit harness adapter to tune it.

SS came in with some ghetto setup: Whipple charger with a NOS brand nozzle direct port nitrous kit. It also had JBA shorty headers, two flowmaster mufflers welded in place of the original SS muffler, a custom cam, and crane 1.8 rockers.

The owner wasn't impressed with the guys who originally did the install and the truck wasn't making power. I wasn't either. Apparently the nitrous system had shorted itself out. Everything was horribly done.

So the shop took off the Whipple, cam, cheap direct port setup and rocker arms. Then installed a large custom cam, custom direct port system, and a set of stage 2 heads. Still had cheap JBA headers and stock intake. Then tuned it with LS1 edit.

Best part is........ They removed the front driveshaft, strapped it to the dyno. :D

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK. Whipple numbers first. 309 HP and 370 TQ . This is on a 95 degree day here in TX. Remember, the whipple is non intercooled, so its forcing extremely hot air into the motor. TQ numbers were OK, but HP is horrible. Lesson learned - Whipple sucks (but I knew that since I once had a whipple on my 99Z71).

There were 3 dyno runs with the whipple, and all runs were very close.

I'm just wondeirng if simply unhooking the front driveshaft would make a significant difference in the HP ratings off the rear wheels. It's understandable that it's no longer turning those tires, but the transfer case is still gonna be rotating and pulling the HP off in the long run anyway....

Read this for info on the AWD system:

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.ph...?showtopic=2099

Honestly, I used think the same thing - Even without the front driveshaft, would it be a true HP reading? Still not sure but the AFTER whipple numbers with heads and cam are pretty good especially if the transfer case is eating extra HP.

Read this for info on the AWD system:

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.ph...?showtopic=2099

Honestly, I used think the same thing - Even without the front driveshaft, would it be a true HP reading?  Still not sure but the AFTER whipple numbers with heads and cam are pretty good especially if the transfer case is eating extra HP.

So without the front shaft power would be sent to the rear wheels. You'd have to account for slippage in the transfer case if there is any.

If those #'s are correct the whipple added about 10-15rwhp is all. But having the right program for FI engines makes all the difference.

Show us the new head and cam #'s... :D when you get them..

Thanks BigTex :thumbs:

I don't think the Whipple would do a whole lot better with a tune. I had a whipple on my 99 for a while. It dynoed 305 hp and 375 tq, but before it was 293 hp and 305 tq. I was seeing almost 20 degrees timing and 0 KR. Looks like the same results with this truck.

I've got the heads and cam numbers. :)

After the heads and cam install, it made just over 360 HP and 380 TQ. Remember this is with a stock intake and shorty headers. I'd bet with good bolt-ons this truck would be putting down over 400 to the wheels. This cam was large enough to have them notch valve reliefs in the stock pistons.

Do you want to know what it made with a little nitrous. :devil: - Any guesses?

I don't think the Whipple would do a whole lot better with a tune.  I had a whipple on my 99 for a while.  It dynoed 305 hp and 375 tq, but before it was 293 hp and 305 tq.  I was seeing almost 20 degrees timing and 0 KR.  Looks like the same results with this truck.

I've got the heads and cam numbers. :) 

After the heads and cam install, it made just over 360 HP and 380 TQ.  Remember this is with a stock intake and shorty headers.  I'd bet with good bolt-ons this truck would be putting down over 400 to the wheels.  This cam was large enough to have them notch valve reliefs in the stock pistons.

Do you want to know what it made with a little nitrous.  :devil:    - Any guesses?

480HP and just over 500TQ.

OK, the suspense is killing me. And I need to get some sleep.

Lets say this: This combo pushed the edge of the stock fuel system. I think the stock intake and exhaust were limiting factors as well. On the graph, you see power drop off rapidly before 6000 rpms on nitrous. Without nitrous, the heads and cam pulled pretty hard to the upper 6000s.

Archived