Trans Cooler Install

I order the B&M Cooler (part# 70297) and have started the install this evening. Just need to get some wiring in and it should be set to go. The question is I am going to go with some nice AN connectors and probably braided stainless steel lines to replace the run from the cooler to the trans. So this brings me to my fist question.

Can I bypass the run to the radiator and just run from the tranny to the cooler? I am not really sure why it runs to the radiator then through the cooler and then back to the trans??

The other question is what is the size of the threads at the tranny 1/2 NPT or 3/8 NPT?? I just need to know what size connectors to order it's 1/2 NPT at the cooler but the stock cooler the connectors looked to be more like 3/8.

Thanks gents will have pictures of the install tomorrow it turned out pretty good.

Laters

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are the pics of the install. Pretty easy not to hard really. Do not mind the hoses right now or the wiring this will all be cleaned up this weekend after I get my new lines. That is as soon as I find out the thread size on the stock lines at the tranny or the radiator. They all look to be 3/8 NPT. Or the could be 1/2 but that was what was at the B&M cooler and it looks much bigger than the stock fittings.

Any who here as some pics as it sits now:

Here it is with the stock cooler removed:

000_0055.jpg

Just a little bit of a size difference :O

000_0057.jpg

See size does matter :)

000_0059.jpg

Top bracket in:

000_0061.jpg

Bottom Bracket in:

000_0062.jpg

Cooler Mounted in place:

000_0067.jpg

Cooler mounted and piped in. Hoses will be replaced with braided or hard lines:

000_0070.jpg

Switch is in. The cooler has a thermostat that turns on the fan at 170 degrees. I wired it up so that I could turn it on manually with the car on or off. The switch has an LED and the LED next to it is an indicator. When I have the switch on both the LEDS are on. When I have the switch on and the thermostat has activated the fan just the LED to the left comes on. This way I know that it's on and working. Kinda cool at least I think :lol:

000_0073.jpg

Switch on fan working:

000_0075.jpg

The reason to still run it through the radiator is to keep the trans fluid temp from exceeding the coolant temp. Example if your are idling in traffic or the temp spiked for some other reason. I always run both coolers (rad and aux) but run the fluid thru the radiator first, then the aux to cool it down further.BTW your setup looks nice I like the cooler. Later

Dave

In reply to the cooler being upside down or mounted that way I went with what the instructions told me to do. Because of the termostat they tell you not to mount the cooler with the thermostat pointing straight up. They say that it will not read properly that way. I could have mounted it sideways but the brackets where alrady made up. I will probably change this when I go with the AN fittings and braided lines.I thought about just mounting it up right but it would be nice to have the thermostat function properly.

Do you guys think that the thermostat will funtion properly if I switched it around and the thermostat was located at the top? I would prefer to have the hoses at the bottom.

I got it from Summit's Ebay store for $200 plus $10 to ship. I am not sure if it would work with the Radix cooler thought I am not sure how it mounts. Or what kinda clearance there would be.

I think it may work better flipped around.  Nice pics.

Thanks I like it too! It turned out really nice and the trans temps seem to be much better. Anyone have any idea what size AN fittings I am going to need to replace the stock lines?

The reason to still run it through the radiator is to keep  the trans fluid temp from exceeding the coolant temp. Example if your are idling in traffic or the temp spiked for some other reason. I always run both coolers (rad and aux) but run the fluid thru the radiator first, then the aux to cool it down further.BTW your setup looks nice I like the cooler.  Later

Dave

Since I don't have a themostat controled bypass on the cooler line, I left it running through the radiator. I figured it would warm the transmission fluid in cold weather and still provide a bit of cooling in hot weather.

I cut and re-arranged the existing tubing to keep from using rubber hoses. The hardest part was coming up with a way to get from the 1/2 inch NPT pipe thread on the cooler to the 3/8 inverted flare fittings. What was B&M thinking when they chose NTP? :wtf:

CRW_1116.jpg

Installed my B&M Transmission Cooler

shouldn't the fan be behind the core pulling the air through the fins. if left the way you have it, i would think the temp between your stock cooler and this one aren't going to be any different. instead of pulling "cooler" ambient air through, you are pulling engine heat through the fins, also restricting ambient air from passing through your condensor and radiator.

Archived