Tree sap on my paint.

I have some tree sap on my truck that has hardened up. I have tried to remove it, but this stuff is stuck to my paint. I don't want to get to agressive with it and hurt my paint. Is there anything out there that I can use to remove this treesap from my paint? Let me know some of your detailing tricks for this. Thanks

Adrian

I had the same thing. I tried everything; claybar, wd40, mineral spirits, gasoline, bug & tar remover, etc. I was desperate! I went on a newsgroup and read a post from a guy that has a tree trimming business and he said the only thing he found to work was "Rain-X", yep the stuff you put on your windshield! I was thinking I was going to have to paint the top of my SS anyway so I said what the heck and tried it and IT WORKED! :thumbs:

Edited by Rays B4U (see edit history)

I have two globs that are on there that won't come out. One is round and the size of a dime, and the other is about an inch long and about as wide as a pencil. I haven't tried the Rain-X trick yet that Rays suggested, but I will try anything to get this crap off of my truck.

I was really skeptical when I read about the Rain-X too, but I was prepared to have the top of my SS repainted so I was willing to try anything. With the size of goobers you're describing you will most likely have to do it a few times to get it off; at least I did. I washed the hood off after I was done with Dawn dishwashing liquid and then applied wax. Hood looks fine; no sign of damage by the Rain-X and it’s been over a year since I did mine.

I would use a good bug and tar remover (turtle wax makes a good one) and let it soak on that spot for a little bit to start breaking the sap down.... give the truck a good wash and then attack it with a clay bar.

If you're still having a problem use a heat gun to break down the sap.... this is a sure fire way to get it off, just be careful not to get too crazy with the heat and do damage.

Thanks for the advise Rays B4U. I used the Rain-X today and it removed the tree sap real quick. I would have never guessed that this stuff would have worked so quickly. Thanks again. Now I can wax my truck now.

Adrian

Thanks for the advise Rays B4U.  I used the Rain-X today and it removed the tree sap real quick.  I would have never guessed that this stuff would have worked so quickly.  Thanks again.  Now I can wax my truck now. 

Adrian

:thumbs: Glad I could be of some help. I was really surprised how well it worked when I used it, I would have never have even thought of it had I not read the newsgroup post from the guy that has the tree trimming business.

Ray

:flag: