Congratulations Imposstor Ss!

Holty

ImpoSStor SS

At the Las Vegas SEMA show in November of 2002, Chevrolet introduced the Silverado Regular Cab SS concept vehicle - "a slimmed-down pickup with a 395-horsepower 6.0-liter V-8 and six-speed manual transmission, designed to haul more than lumber back from the home improvement store." The following January, Hot Rod magazine ran an article with the headline "CHEVY'S $23,000 SUPER TRUCK - High Performance on a Working Man's Budget", and ending with "The SS will be available during the first half of 2003 through any Chevy dealer." I read this and thought, "This is the truck that will replace my black, regular cab S10!" It was perfect, just what I was looking for! And for only $23,000! It sounded too good to be true!

In November 2003, after the regular cab SS failed to materialize at my local Chevy dealer, I attended the SEMA show and spoke with the Silverado brand manager. I asked about the possibility of my dream truck making it into production. All he would say was "I can't tell you our future plans." Without a warm, fuzzy feeling that it would ever happen, I flew home on a Saturday morning red-eye and the following Monday, ordered the raw material to build my own regular cab SS. I few weeks later, in December 2003 I took delivery of a black 2004 LS with a 4.8L V8 and a 5-speed. I trailered it to a rented garage and started the conversion process.

gallery_3087_69_52224.jpg

Out came the 4.8 and the 5-speed, in went the 6.0 and the 6-speed. On went the SS cladding, door handles, mirror caps and the BSER roll pan!

gallery_3087_14_85260.jpg

gallery_3087_14_45326.jpg

gallery_3087_14_76873.jpg

In February 2004, after 14 months of long nights and weekends the truck was ready for it's debut at the Detroit Autorama (where it was relegated to the basement with the rice rockets and the rat rods because "it looks too stock to be upstairs").

gallery_3087_14_42040.jpg

gallery_3087_69_45214.jpg

Since then I've also had the truck at indoor shows in Chicago, IL, Green Bay, WI, Grand Rapids, MI and again in Detroit, along with many outdoor shows and cruise nights. My favorite event has been the annual Zippy meet where everyone knows it didn't come this way and appreciates the work that went into it.

gallery_3087_69_31790.jpg

gallery_3087_14_62409.jpg

In the summer of 2006 I decided the next logical step would be the installation of a supercharger. I was lucky enough to get a demonstration ride in one of Wheel to Wheel's development vehicles. I was hooked! That July I purchased and installed the first W2W intercooled Rotrex supercharger kit to be sold to the public. I didn't take the time to dyno the truck before the installation of the Rotrex so I don't know how much power it was putting out but after the install, with the help of Mike at Zippy Performance I've been able to achieve 500 RWHP and 478 ft/lbs of torque.

gallery_3087_69_122301.jpg

With a best of 13.148 @ 110.45 my quarter mile times are not yet where I'd like them to be. Lack of traction has been the biggest problem. With trap speeds as high as 116.8 the truck has much more potential. Before next summer I plan to have a pair of 18" drag radials that will clear the Baer brakes. Then we'll see what it can do.

gallery_3087_14_50071.jpg

Well, I finally got my dream truck. I bristle when it's referred to as a "clone" but, in reality, it's a clone of that 2002 SEMA concept truck. It's got more power and a few more creature comforts than that truck and it's lacking the concepts coil-spring rear suspension but for the most part I've stayed true to the original design, including the cloth seats. I'm especially proud of the fact I did the majority of the work myself in a rented garage but it would not have turned out as well as it did without the help of family and friends. Additional information can be found in my Garage.

Thanks to all who nominated me for CFT consideration.

MODIFICATIONS:

APPEARANCE:

Silverado SS Front Fascia

Silverado SS Grille

Silverado SS Cladding with Custom made rear cab corners

Silverado SS Gloss Black Door Handles

Silverado SS Gloss Black Tailgate Handle and Bezel

Silverado SS Gloss Black Mirror Caps

Silverado SS Badging with Custom "ImpoSStor" Tailgate Decal

Modified BSER Roll Pan

Extang RT Roll-Top Low Profile Tonneau Cover

Lighted Billet Aluminum License Plate Frame by Trenz

ENGINE:

LQ9 6.0L V8

LS6 Camshaft

LS6 Cylinder Heads

MSD Super Conductor 8.5mm Spark Plug Wires

Rotrex/Wheel to Wheel Intercooled Supercharger

Siemens/Mototron Deka 4 Flow-Matched 60 lb/hr Fuel Injectors

Volant Performance Cold Air Induction with Ram Air Scoop

2005 GM Electric Fans

Custom PCM Programming by Zippy Performance

GM Increased Capacity Aluminum Radiator

EXHAUST:

TOG Headers with Breslin Split-Lock Header Bolts

Ceramic-Coated Muffler from Magnaflow

Custom Bent Ceramic-Coated Exhaust Pipe

Ceramic-Coated Billet Aluminum Exhaust Tips

TRANSMISSION:

Tremec T-56 Close Ratio 6-Speed Transmission with Viper Internals

Spec Stage 3 Clutch, Pressure Plate and Steel Flywheel

Pro 5.0 Shifter from D & D Performance

TIRES & WHEELS:

BF Goodrich G-Force KDW Tires - 265/50R20 Front, 305/50R20 Rear

GM Accessory Chrome 5-Spokes 20" X 8.5"

BRAKES:

Baer 14" Eradispeed Directional Rotors

PBR AlumaSport 2-Piston, Pin-Drive Calipers

SUSPENSION:

4.56 Gears

Detroit TrueTrac Differential

Bilstein Shocks

Eibach Lowering Kit-50mm front (coils), 110mm rear (hangers & shackles)

CalTrac Traction Bars from Calvert Racing

Hotchkis Stabilizer Bars

TA Performance Rear End Girdle with ARP Stainless Hardware

INTERIOR:

Silverado SS Instrument Cluster with PRNDLL Delete

Headliner and Visors Color-Matched to Charcoal Interior

Custom Billet Shift Stick with White Hurst Shift Ball

Catch-All Floor Mats from Nifty Products

OTHER:

Bedrug by Wise Industries

Custom Built Aluminum Driveshaft by Dynotech Engineering

Flip-up License Plate Mount from Summit