Ordered ss brake lines

BenKey

Well, went to the speed shop during lunch today and ordered Earl's 5-line ss brake lines. Cost was only $124, so not too bad. Now just need to get some Super Blue type 2000 fluid and I be ready to go. Will look into ordering pads later. Anyone heard anything about some good pads? Hawk pads are the only ones I'm familiar with, any better out there?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:confused: are the lines stainless? What lines? all the brake I am guessing? I like the way you have gone about your mods ben--Strong and tuff, and reading about your trans build up, a lot of thought to keeping your truck along factory lines. Any joe can get stuff and bolt it on but you have refined the SS really nicely and I want to give you props on your truck. I hope with time, money I can...well I dont know if I could have(handel) your truck :thumbs: but one day I will be supercharged.

Just wanted I little more info on those lines...

thanks

joe

These lines are stainless steel, or ss. Your stock lines are like a re-enforced rubber hose and expand when under pressure, therefore exerting less pressure to your calipers. Some, or maybe most, of the reason why you have the sponginess when you mash the pedal.

These lines, better fluid, better pads should go a long way to getting better stopping power and better responsiveness from your foot. The good thing is it shouldn't cost too much to perform. Nobody has tried it yet for our trucks, other than a major upgrade of the system, so I thought I would. Although, there has been much talk about doing something like this. This is the low-buck way to do it, not fancy, but hopefully will yeild roughly the same results.

Thanks for the comments about the truck. :thumbs:

Damn, I had no idea they were out there...

I love stainless lines. I've upgraded all my bikes with them - even "great" brakes get "better".

I'm going to have to find me a set. Let us know how things go, Ben...

Actually, after poking around, I realized I DID look these up before. I didn't end up persueing them because I saw that they were only listed for late model 2WD trucks, for whatever reason.

I didn't think there was a big difference between the two platforms, but I dropped the ball by not going out and looking at my brake lines. I had some doubts that they were replaceable at all, and forgot to really check.

Did you go with part number: 28A640, Ben?

Yeah that's the one I went with. Not 100% sure that they will work. That part number says that they are for a 2WD, but since the brake lines for the SS have all diff part numbers from the 2WD or the 4WD, it's hard to tell anything for sure. I guess we'll see.

Ben,

Last year I purchased some Scandanavian Brake pads from Tire Rack for my F350. They were a little more than the price of the Hawks but they were worth it. Excellent in stopping power, low noise and had very little brake dust. My chrome rims were alot easier to clean since I put them on. I had to put the Hawks on the rear because they didn't make them for the F350. The Hawks are very good also but the SBS pads were on the front of a 8500 lb truck and had to do the majority of the work. I would buy them again. Hopefully they make them for the SS front and rear, for when I ready to replace mine.

The link is: http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/sbs/index.jsp

Check it out, they are for high performance driving with light duty trucks.

Mark

Yeah that's the one I went with. Not 100% sure that they will work. That part number says that they are for a 2WD, but since the brake lines for the SS have all diff part numbers from the 2WD or the 4WD, it's hard to tell anything for sure. I guess we'll see.

Well you find out for us, then tell us what to buy! :P

I got some Performance Friction Z rated pads for the Mallett. Good cold stopping power, with great heated stopping power.

Becareful picking out pads though, as the more agressive the pad, usually means the worse the cold stopping power.

:thumbs: Congrates and keep us updated!

Thanks for the info guys :thumbs:

Marcelletti - damn those pads are expensive.  How long do they last?

:eek: yea and how hot do they need to get to stop? Will they work in the cold mid-west?

But i would put them on, only the best for my SSS

Ben,

I put them on my '99 F350 @ 125,000 miles. SBS's in the front and Hawks in the back. I paid approx. $120.00 for the SBS's and $60.00 for the Hawks. I drove the truck for 25,000 miles before I sold it in January '04. I never heard any squeaks or squeals during the 25K miles. I live in So Cal so I cannot say how they would be in winter like weather, but they were the best pads I ever had on any of my trucks. I have had 4 F350's in the past. Most of my trucks with new pads would only last about 30K miles before they need to be replaced.

They seem to be consitent in stopping power even when they were heated up and during extremely hot weather.

When I sold the truck there was alot of pad left leaving me to believe I had at least another 25K miles left. Braking was always firm and I never experienced any type of brake fade. Fact that they showed very little dust convinced me they would last along time. Rotors were smooth the entire stretch.

Try calling Tirerack and see what they say in comparison to all the other high performance pads they sell, and what kind of guarantee they will give you.

When I was shopping for mine, the salesman sounded very persuasive that these were the best out on the market. For the money they better be!

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Mark

Archived