switching from awd to 2/4wd

I had crazy idea the other day and i don't know if it would be benificial at all, but I was thinking that it would be pretty cool to convert the awd drivetrain to one that you could switch from 2 to 4wd and so fourth like on regular four wheel drive chevys. Any thoughts on this.

i agree with Sinister on this, the swap would be very easy. There would be nothing custom that had to be maid, just plug and play everthing. i think the 4wd transfer cases don't steal as much power away either. :cool:

thats all I thought that I would need and then I would need to place a switch in the cab somewhere to shift the transfer case. I have heard from alot of people that a 2wd vehicle is much more efficient as far as wasted power then a awd or 4wd.

I had crazy idea the other day and i don't know if it would be benificial at all, but I was thinking that it would be pretty cool to convert the awd drivetrain to one that you could switch from 2 to 4wd and so fourth like on regular four wheel drive chevys. Any thoughts on this.

Sorry, Perm. AWD for me. ;)

To each his own, good luck on your project. :thumbs:

Lead Solo..................SAVAGE :flag:

The only reason to do it would be so you could fry your tires. Isn't that a bit over rated?

Your going to carry the same weight or more... so I really don't think performance would improve much in 2WD mode, yet you would loose the benefit of the AWD at launch and around the corners.

You guys are crazy! :crazy:

Yes, the electronic transfer case is much more than just a switch and a transfer case. There's a computer module and special harness that connects the computer module to the transfer case. It's do-able, but a lot of wiring involved, especially if the SS isn't prewired for it.

Your best bet is to use a manual transfer case like the one in my truck... which I may be putting up for sale or on Ebay in the (hopefully) not too distant future.

You would need to make a hole for cable-driven shifter if there isn't already a factory hole for it. You would also need to do a little bit of wiring... the shifter has a switch in it that engages the front diff encoder motor to lock in the front diff. The front diff is normally disconnected from the T-case, I assume to reduce drag. That also means you will have to replace the front diff with one that has the clutch assembly and encoder motor.

BUT, maybe I am the one who is crazy :crazy: because I have an NVG149 (Escalade/SS transfer case) sitting in my garage, ready to replace my manual t-case!!! It's basically bolt-in, no wiring necessary, and since I DO have the encoder motor in my front T-case, I will just ground the encoder motor control wire to make it think the truck is in 4x4 which should work perfectly. Maybe I'm nutso, but I WANT AWD!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Isn't the front diff on these trucks "locked in" full time?

I believe the standard 4x4 front diff do some funny internal "unlocking", in which just about everything still spins.

I know the "Autotrac" transfer cases spin the front driveshaft FULL TIME, even when it's in 2wd... so that drag will always be there.

Seeing as the full-time spinning front driveshaft spins the pinion, ring gear, and hence the carrier... and the full-time spinning front axles spinning most, if not all of the internals in the front diff... there isn't much to be had in freeing up drag with one of these selectable setups.

just curious as to why you would want to do this :confused:

I figure if you want the option of 2wd you get a 1500 or 2500. If you need the power of the SS, throw a SC on it. Figure in the end its all about the same cost but now its what you wanted.

I agree with haynss, if the SS wasnt what you wanted in the first place, it would have been cheaper to buy something else and make it just as fast as the SS or faster.

Archived