Z06 Install With Mcgaughy Spindles

jlosh20s

well finally got my z06 swap done today and here is some pics had to cut some parts of the spindle out in order to get the caliper mounted the way it should be the brackets themselves bolt up with no issues and with no modification but the problem is that you have dam near 1/2'' of brake pad hanging over the rotor so therefore i had to elongate the holes in the brackets about a 1/4'' to move the caliper closer so the pad wouldnt hang off so much but regardless you still have about a 1/4'' of pad hanging over thats with the caliper as close as you can safely get it to the rotor i aslo had to put 1/4'' spacers on my wheels in order to fit my wheels back on but later on this week i think im gonna shim the brackets out to push the caliper back so i dont need such a big spacer or hopefully none at all the only thing is that the caliper wont be centered over the rotor but i think the caliper will work exactly the same well any ways here are some pics

post-19130-1262141368_thumb.jpg

post-19130-1262141381_thumb.jpg

post-19130-1262141398_thumb.jpg

post-19130-1262141418_thumb.jpg

post-19130-1262141432_thumb.jpg

Please don't shim the caliper back away from center of the rotor. Matter of fact, do everything necessary to get the caliper's centered. You may have noticed the pad pins in the caliper are not very far back from the surface of the pads themselves and if not centered, it won't take very long before the pins could start digging into the rotor.

Being a fixed caliper design, it is imperative for the calipers to be centered for proper operation. Floating calipers will self center by design and even so, I'm sure you have seen the damaged caused to the rotors and pads when they start sticking and not sliding when the freeze up.

Please don't shim the caliper back away from center of the rotor. Matter of fact, do everything necessary to get the caliper's centered. You may have noticed the pad pins in the caliper are not very far back from the surface of the pads themselves and if not centered, it won't take very long before the pins could start digging into the rotor.

Being a fixed caliper design, it is imperative for the calipers to be centered for proper operation. Floating calipers will self center by design and even so, I'm sure you have seen the damaged caused to the rotors and pads when they start sticking and not sliding when the freeze up.

the calipers are fixed therefore they cannot move so where i mount the caliper is where it will stay only the pistons move so it shouldnt be an issue and realisticly it shouldnt matter if its a little off because the caliper will still apply even pressure and floating calipers cannot be compared to these because pressure is applied to both sides of the rotor where a floating setup only applies to one ive thought this through for quite a while now and i dont see the issue

I understand want your thinking, but they do need to be centered. Below is a quote from Ray where he alluded to the importance of centering the caliper. I wished I had a picture of the poor gentleman's rotor that got destroyed. It was on the rear that he had the issues, some of the other members may remember seeing it.

By the way, they look good on your truck.

Hey guy's glad to see everything coming together.I have noticed that some kits requires a little more attention than others on proper spacing.Please pay attention to the caliper centering, I dont want any one cutting up their rotor like the fellow over on gm full size.If you have any questions dont hesitate to pm me.
Edited by Bear (see edit history)

I understand want your thinking, but they do need to be centered. Below is a quote from Ray where he alluded to the importance of centering the caliper. I wished I had a picture of the poor gentleman's rotor that got destroyed. It was on the rear that he had the issues, some of the other members may remember seeing it.

By the way, they look good on your truck.

as long as they are mounted solid and with decent clearence from anything they shouldnt be touching it will be fine the calipers all apply the same pressure wether centered or not im not a big fan of spacers nor how close the calipers are to my wheels and im fully confident that i can make it work the way it needs to and also give me more clearance nothing i do or that has been done to my truck is half ass and is not going to start being half ass now lol and thanks for the compliment

the calipers are fixed therefore they cannot move so where i mount the caliper is where it will stay only the pistons move so it shouldnt be an issue and realisticly it shouldnt matter if its a little off because the caliper will still apply even pressure and floating calipers cannot be compared to these because pressure is applied to both sides of the rotor where a floating setup only applies to one ive thought this through for quite a while now and i dont see the issue

How do pads wear evenly, with in reason, if pressure is only applied to one side???? truth is that floating calipers do apply pressure on both sides, the difference is that both sides see half the pressure of the total provided by the piston. and remember many little pistons don't neccessarly do the same work as a few big pistons.

They do look good though.

How do pads wear evenly, with in reason, if pressure is only applied to one side???? truth is that floating calipers do apply pressure on both sides, the difference is that both sides see half the pressure of the total provided by the piston. and remember many little pistons don't neccessarly do the same work as a few big pistons.

They do look good though.

DUH I know that lol i meant that the pistons only push one side thats why it has to be floating so that even pressure is applied to both sides i was just saying that you cant compare what happens to a floating caliper when it stops sliding correctly on its guides to me off centering the caliper on a fixed caliper setup

DUH I know that lol i meant that the pistons only push one side thats why it has to be floating so that even pressure is applied to both sides i was just saying that you cant compare what happens to a floating caliper when it stops sliding correctly on its guides to me off centering the caliper on a fixed caliper setup

I just went trough this with one of my rear calipers. the slide froze and the caliper wore the pads unevenly

just showing what needs to be done to get those pads making 100 % contact these are 15" rotors that have a deeper offset so you wont need wheel spacers and the brackets are modified to suit, with this the calpers clear the wheel spokes

calipers have been notched