New Front Dif.

Got the truck back last week from the dealer. I didn't say anything because I wanted to put some miles and some time before I posted results. Well to make this short the front differential noise is gone. All I here now is the exhaust. It's a butiful thing. One thing to tell everyone is: get your front differentials replaced before it's too late.

I got nervous this weekend because my t-case or front diff was doing a lot of growling... more than usual.

I drained the fluid out of the front diff to see if any junk came out, and there was nothing major. A fair amount of fuzz on the drain-plug magnet, but nothing that REALLY bothered me.

I put in some fresh M1 75-90, and the thing has been perfectly quiet since.

Odd.

I got nervous this weekend because my t-case or front diff was doing a lot of growling... more than usual.

I drained the fluid out of the front diff to see if any junk came out, and there was nothing major.  A fair amount of fuzz on the drain-plug magnet, but nothing that REALLY bothered me.

I put in some fresh M1 75-90, and the thing has been perfectly quiet since. 

Odd.

Interesting. The dealer replaced mine w/ std gear oil, and growling noise still there after 1 week of driving - maybe I'll pick up some Mobil1 75W-90 . . . .

How much did it take to fill? TIA.

Well, I still have the noise, it's just not as loud.... :(

To be honest, I forget the exact amount it took.

It was over 2 of those skinny (quart?) bottles, but not more than 2.5.  I can double check when I get home for you.

Thanks Marc, that's OK, I was gonna change to synthetic anyway. I bought 3 Qts figuring I could use any extra for when I replace the rear diff fluid, which holds around 2 qts if I remember right.

-Daryl

Thanks Marc, that's OK, I was gonna change to synthetic anyway.  I bought 3 Qts figuring I could use any extra for when I replace the rear diff fluid, which holds around 2 qts if I remember right.

Yeah, I really want to say it was two for the front.

I remember cracking open a new bottle to top-off the rear diff to 5/8" below the fill-hole. (I saw that there was no drain bolt like my '02 Avalanche had back there - I got real lazy and figured I'd get to that diff later on... ;) )

Thanks Marc, that's OK, I was gonna change to synthetic anyway.  I bought 3 Qts figuring I could use any extra for when I replace the rear diff fluid, which holds around 2 qts if I remember right.

Yeah, I really want to say it was two for the front.

I remember cracking open a new bottle to top-off the rear diff to 5/8" below the fill-hole. (I saw that there was no drain bolt like my '02 Avalanche had back there - I got real lazy and figured I'd get to that diff later on... ;) )

Yeah, that's the first thing I noticed on the 4:10 diffs of both trucks I have had - no rear drain plug . . . I guess the best way is to pull the back and clean also. I'll change the front this weekend.

I'm thinking around 20K miles, I'll replace the rear - maybe sooner if I get around to it - cheap insurance as far as I'm concerned.

• 1 month later...
I changed my front diff fluid today with m1 75-90w.   The factory fluid however seems much thicker.   Did I use the right fluid???

Yes, M1 or other synthetic 75w-90 is what GM recommends, and the dealer actually put this in for me when they checked the growl out.

I think the std dino front diff gear oil is 80W-90 . . . . so I suppose that's maybe why it seemed thicker . . .

I took mine to the dealer and had the front diff oil changed. I was there when the mechanic pulled the drain plug. The fluid that came out was totaly black and a lot of black gritt was on the drain plug. They put in two bottles of SAE 80w-90 gm part number 1052271 api gl4 This oil was a orange color and was a GM product. I have to take it back in because it is now making a noise i didnt hear before......

Is two quarts of this oil enough to fill the front diff.?????

Archived