noisy trans

Mine does the same but only when tranny is cold. It has done since day one. 15k miles later still working like a champ and same noise. Was told its normal sound of cold tranny doing its job.  :dunno:

bought mine with 15.5k on the clock, noticed it at 18k, it's definately louder when cold ,, does quiet down after a while but still can hear it with the windows up,, got an appointment with the dealer this tues. for this plus 2 other complaints,, mice in the instrument cluster and that damn pre-ignition when i start the engine, hopefully this dealer will have answers

Mine does the same but only when tranny is cold. It has done since day one. 15k miles later still working like a champ and same noise. Was told its normal sound of cold tranny doing its job.  :dunno:

I'm not a transmission expert, but I know about cold, my trucks (01 silverado, 03 SS, and 03 Trail Blazer) are subject to more than -30* and the only one that has had that noise is the Trail Blazer with 10,000 miles on it. It came from the power steering pump and it would change pitch as I moved the steering wheel. It only happened once when the high for the day was -15*. The dealer said it needed to have the fluid changed to a cold climate fluid. What I'm trying to say is: if you live in Texas (or other southern state), you have a problem that isn't normal.

My brother's Dodge Ram did that on the second factory transmission. They finally bought the truck back under the lemon law.

The noise you hear if it's the same thing I'm hearing in mine would be normal. It's the overrun clutch/sprag, if you ever have one out of a trans one way it will not spin and the other way it will spin freely but they make a whine sound!

The noise you hear if it's the same thing I'm hearing in mine would be normal. It's the overrun clutch/sprag, if you ever have one out of a trans one way it will not spin and the other way it will spin freely but they make a whine sound!

question,, how come the noise appeared just recently (past 800+ miles), I purched it out of state and had a 350 mile drive home, didn't hear it then, i had the truck for a few weeks then i started to notice it,, like i said on the beginning of this post i thought it was a dry p.s. pump

sprag/overrun clutch,,does it matter if it's in gear or not,, while in park it's definately in sync. and louder with engine speed,, at times the sound/whine overtakes the engine/exhaust sound,, sounds like a turbine spooling up,, and how come it seems to get quieter, or at times goes away when it gets hot .

not doubting your knowledge, just never experienced this with any other gm product or the jap products, actually had it on a high mileage caravan and within 6 months i had scrambled eggs for a tranny,, just looking for a better understanding on this issue, but it seems to be a normal condition,

question,, how come the noise appeared just recently (past 800+ miles), I purched it out of state and had a 350 mile drive home, didn't hear it then, i had the truck for a few weeks then i started to notice it,, like i said on the beginning of this post i thought it was a dry p.s. pump

sprag/overrun clutch,,does it matter if it's in gear or not,, while in park it's definately in sync. and louder with engine speed,, at times the sound/whine overtakes the engine/exhaust sound,, sounds like a turbine spooling up,, and how come it seems to get quieter, or at times goes away when it gets hot .

not doubting your knowledge, just never experienced this with any other gm product or the jap products, actually had it on a high mileage caravan and within 6 months i had scrambled eggs for a tranny,, just looking for a better understanding on this issue, but it seems to be a normal condition,

Check out the Torque Converter.

Archived