Nitto 420S replacement

Hey folks. Getting time for some new rubber so I figured I would check back here and see what the current recommendations are. My last two sets of tires have been 420s (on stock wheels) and those are no longer in production. I would like to get something of the same performance level on both wet and dry pavement if possible.

I did look at the 420s "successor", the NT420V but the mixed reviews give me pause.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Badkarma (see edit history)

I am in the same boat... new tires needed soon.   Going with 305/50/20 size again.  I have been leaning to the Toyo Proxes STIII, mostly because they are more affordable.  I have not seen much else out there in that size.  So far I have seen the Kumho Ecsta STX and the Nitto NT420V you mentioned.  

My tires always seem to wear fast on the outer sides. Could have something to do with my driving style...... naahhh...  ;D

3 hours ago, dcairns said:

I am in the same boat... new tires needed soon.   Going with 305/50/20 size again.  I have been leaning to the Toyo Proxes STIII, mostly because they are more affordable.  I have not seen much else out there in that size.  So far I have seen the Kumho Ecsta STX and the Nitto NT420V you mentioned.  

My tires always seem to wear fast on the outer sides. Could have something to do with my driving style...... naahhh...  ;D

Those are on my list as well. Pretty much between the Toyo Proxes STIII's and the Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season.

Where do you typically source your tires? I went out to the Americas Tire in Orange last time and may go there again.

I've been through several sets of Toyo Proxes ST's on multiple trucks.  The original ST's, ST II's, and now ST III's.  They're good tires for the money.  Not super sticky by any means, so you'll get good treadlife as long as you don't mash the pedal every single time.  Put these in 275/45/22 on my black SS when the Nitto 421Q's that came on these wheels went lumpy with separated belts.

ST3.thumb.jpg.ea22052bc74d6866c27c9829034a43ed.jpg

Sometimes I've scored them off ebay (usual seller tends to be Priority Tire and one I think in the past was Buytiresnow or something like that) but also just for simplicity's sake just ordered through Discount Tire.

Running them in the stock 275/55/20 on the wife's SS

SSS.thumb.jpg.34b1cec0d8ce891b1ff637952fe4c370.jpg

Richard

Edited by someotherguy (see edit history)

On 4/21/2024 at 8:06 PM, Badkarma said:

Those are on my list as well. Pretty much between the Toyo Proxes STIII's and the Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season.

Where do you typically source your tires? I went out to the Americas Tire in Orange last time and may go there again.

I have got some tires from Big O near Tustin and Katella.  Depends on who has the best price.  I was also going to check out a place I saw from the 91 fwy called Tire Outlet US (Near 91 Fwy and Raymond Ave)  

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dcairns said:

Well, got the Toyo Proxes.  Nice to have some grip again :D

Right on. Glad to hear you finally pulled the trigger. You will have to let me know how the do in the rain. We both know how poorly our local freeways shed water in our area :lol: