Cost of a new windshield?

.justin.

This cold weather has treated my truck badly. On my drive into work today I notice a small, horizontal crack just above the driver's side wiper that wasn't there on Friday. About 10 minutes later I hear a series of small cracking sounds and lo and behold, the crack has grown by about 3 feet, from the start of one wiper to the end of the other. Just my luck.

So, my question is, does anyone know what the cost of a new windshield will run? I'm not sure what my insurance company's policy on glass is, so I still need to check into that, but I would like to be prepared for the worst.

Thanks

Justin

Your best bet is to call around to all the auto glass shops in your area, the prices can very by a lot. I need to get a new winshield for my blazer, a rock went through it last july and its smashed with tons of cracks going from the drivers side to the passanger side (could not catch up to the truck that through the rock into my window).

My insurance is not paying for any of it, and calling around to different glass dealers the price ranges anywhere from $180 to $350. So shop around.

If you have a warrenty on your truck still it may cover it, my buddies denali got a crack then it shattered while he was driving to florida and he went to a local GM dealer and they replaced it for free. Said it was under warrenty. I have never heard of this but i guess its possible.

I might be able to help on this one...(I kind of own a glass shop).

The part number for our that windshield is a DW1549.

It has a list price of $775.00, and you can normally expect to receive anywhere between 60-70 percent off for a cash price. You will also have a $50.00 labor charge, and a $25.00 installation kit on top.

As a side note....stay away from the big chains. The only thing that they are good for is messing things up. Look for a local shop that is privately owned, and has been in business for many years. These seem to be the only ones who care.

As a side note, I have never seen a GM dealer do a warranty replace on a w/s when they know a rock broke it...warranty is for things that go bad, not accidents!

I might be able to help on this one...(I kind of own a glass shop). 

The part number for our that windshield is a DW1549.

It has a list price of $775.00, and you can normally expect to receive anywhere between 60-70 percent off for a cash price.  You will also have a $50.00 labor charge, and a $25.00 installation kit on top.

As a side note....stay away from the big chains.  The only thing that they are good for is messing things up.  Look for a local shop that is privately owned, and has been in business for many years.  These seem to be the only ones who care.

As a side note, I have never seen a GM dealer do a warranty replace on a w/s when they know a rock broke it...warranty is for things that go bad, not accidents!

I never heard of a dealer doing it either but one did, maybe its because they thought it was deffective since it shattered, i dont know but i know he got it for free from the dealer cause i saw the invoice and it was covered by warrenty. So who knows, sounds strange to me also

I'm not sure but your insurance should cover it on your comprehensive deductible.... and most glass companies will pay for that. In some states such as arizona it's a legal requirement that your insurance cannot charge a deductible for glass if you have selected it as an option on your polocy. Your agent may be the best person to call....or call an auto glass company.

Archived