These don't look bad.

I wasn't really lookin into buyin them myself, but I do think that shorties are worth the money...granted they don't give the improvments of mid or long tube headers...but $300 for 12-15hp and $700 of 20-25hp...I'd say, the money is paying for the amount of hp that you want or can afford...either way, it is improving your performance hands down. This is just my opinion though.

i understand where you are coming from though espeaciallly in ca where most long tibes wont pass smog , the only header i have considered are the other guys, but if money is a factor its most likely worth it, the shorties i thought hardly improve hp but that is just what i have read, no experience.

I have JBA shortys and I'll be the first to admit that there isn't much gain w/ them (probably 10-15hp) but the price on those is REALLY good... so like you said:

$300 for 10-15hp or $700 for 20-25hp

shortys = $20 per HP gained

long tube = $28 per HP gained

The shortys are a better bang for the buck IMO :thumbs:

I've had shorties and don't think they are worth much. But, I didn't realize that until I sprung for L/Ts.

You have to look at what you're getting with, say L/Ts. Most come ceramic coated - that I've seen. I spent $717 on a brand new set of ASM headers (about $50 more now). If you got a set of ceramic coated shorties, they would go for $550-$675, depending on which brand.

So, going on the small end of both (ceramic coated):

L/T ($770) ~ 20hp ~ $38.5 per hp

Shorty ($550) ~ 10hp ~ $55 per hp

Some type of coating is a must. If not, you end up with at a minimum blue headers, worst case rusted ones. Some may not care about that. But, add that coating to a set of shorty headers and you could be as little as $100 shy of a set of long-tube or mid-length - that most include coating in the price.

So, you make the call. Personally, I don't think it's worth it when considering the "whole" package.

NOW, mash that gas to the floor and you'll "feel" why you spent the extra money. It was to get the satisfaction of actually noticing what you did when you pressed the go pedal. And you will notice L/T headers, I asure you. What I felt when I installed my shorties was mostly me wanting to feel something to justify my time and money. I may have felt something, just wasn't sure - it certainly sounded quicker. Honestly, I don't think I could feel 10hp, and would be hard pressed to believe anyone else could either. 20 on the other hand, you'll notice.

Before this truck I was a firm believer in any header. But, now that I spent just a little more in my book and crossed to the other side, so to speak, I will never consider wasting my time or money on a set of shorties. Most of the people on here that have done both, probably would agree. This is not to knock anyone that has them or to start an argument. Everyone has their own budget or reasons. Chances are, you may not know what you're missing.

On the other side of it, hp is hp. :dunno:

Just to throw in my last .02...these headers, as are much of the $300 ranged shorties are stainles steel, so, there would be no rusting or other corrosion problems...yes, I'll admit, they will blue, but imo that looks good. I will say that I prefer long tubes, but there is nothing wrong with shorties in the least. Long tubes will benefit you more if you are runnin FI or N2O. but imo, it is neglegible for stock or lightly modified engines... I'm not tryin to start anything...just my opinion from my, as zippy would put it, carberated experience... :jester:

Archived