How is the tailgate cap attatched?

JAG

I know i"ve seen something here about this but with no photos or details. I have a SS (stainless steel) cap from Putco and wonder if/how it will go on. It sounds like there are some screws or bolt holes or something that are exposed when you pull the stock cap off which is also held on by tape. I just don't want to peel the stocker off and then find out that the Putco one doesn't go on or cover now exposed holes.

TIA,

Jason

I took the cap off and put a new one one so that I could put an ARE lid on. You need to heat the cap, there is two sided tape on the front and back of the cap. Heat it and work slowly and it will come off. Yes there are holes in the tail date, I believe 4. If the new cap goes down over the taildate as much as the old one you should be OK.

Mine came off with some gentle prying, no heat needed. Seems like they are having some less than ideal adhesion with the 3M tape, based on some other folks problems with cladding coming loose. I wonder if it needs to be warmer back at the upfitter, to get the adhesive to stick better.

Archived