Best Shorty's

RacerJJ

I need help here...I have the money to get some headers but I'm not sure what to do. I know LT's are the best, but I don't want a difficult install and I must be able to get a smog check. I am wondering what the best brand of shorty's are or, if possible, are there any LT's that are not a pain to install and will still pass the tough California smog check? I really like the Dynatech LT's but they say they are not legal in CA. Please help!!! :dunno:

:cheers:

well any long tubes are going to require exhaust modification however almost all long tubes are illeagle in cali in fact i dont know of any that are legal, i am looking at the other guys header they are mid legnth and legal here , but many like jba and are happy with them so its your call on what to go with.

I have the JBA's. I don't know what they added as I installed them at the same time as the Radix. They are good quality, though, with nice, clean-looking welds. The dark gray titanium-ceramic coating looks very business-like under the hood. They are an easy bolt-on in a truck. :)

Installing headers on my old Camaro was a b....h! :mad:

Anyway, if you want no-weld installation, smog-legal shorties I think you'll be happy with these. :thumbs:

Well - the thing with our trucks - nobody makes a TRUE long tube header for them. They're either shorties, or mid-lengths. Even my Dynatechs put the cats right in the same location as stock -- they're not legal because the cats are not stock. I wouldn't be surprised if their "header only" kit would be legal - I just don't think they're interested in paying the dues...

There are a few midlength (LT) headers that WILL pass smog. TOG's are one...

Shorties - unfortunately, I'm not experienced with them at all.

I feel your pains about the midlength (LT) header installs. I went with Dynatechs and I'm going to be crossing my fingers that they pass this fall, because I REALLY don't want to swap them out again. (MA has very Cali-like emission standards)

The JBA's are good for a shorty if you don't want to have any exhaust fabbing what so ever, but if you don't mind doing a little i would definitely get the other guys mid length.  :thumbs:

:withstupid:

The JBA's are a nice shorty, I have the TOG's and I like them.

How was the install? Fit? Much cutting, welding? Noticable power increase? I've been looking at them. They look like a good quality piece. Just want some more opinions. TIA.

Well - the thing with our trucks - nobody makes a TRUE long tube header for them.   They're either shorties, or mid-lengths.  Even my Dynatechs put the cats right in the same location as stock -- they're not legal because the cats are not stock.  I wouldn't be surprised if their "header only" kit would be legal - I just don't think they're interested in paying the dues...

There are a few midlength (LT) headers that WILL pass smog.  TOG's are one...

Shorties - unfortunately, I'm not experienced with them at all.

I feel your pains about the midlength (LT) header installs.  I went with Dynatechs and I'm going to be crossing my fingers that they pass this fall, because I REALLY don't want to swap them out again.  (MA has very Cali-like emission standards)

you have a 2004 and have to smog it in the fall? tough laws like cali but over here we dont have to smog for about 5 years and then every other after that.

Archived