ELECTRIC FANS

BenKey

Hopefully going to the track within 2 weeks to see what the mods do. I have the truck in stock form now (except for the 2 flowmaster 40 series). I will run a base run and then add the following prior to each run (not in any particular order:

K&N cold air intake

Granatelli mass air sensor (cold air calibrated)

160 thermostat

electric fans

shorter belt to bypass certain accessories - if I can find one! :cry: (underdrive pulleys will come later)

16 inch wheels

There will be plenty of time for cool down between runs and I will be icing the intake. After the final mod in my testing I will then cut the weight starting with the spare and jack, rear seat, passenger seat, smaller battery, tailgate, passenger headlight (poor mans ram air) and remove my bed mat. I know this seems extreme but it is all in good fun and hopefully my efforts will help someone here with their bolt-ons. Besides, my brother and cousin are there for gruntwork. :D

Check out this discussion :

www.ls1tech.com

Sounds like you can wire it into an existing harness and use the stock computer to manage the fans.

Personally, I am not sold on electric fans. I tried one in my '64 Impala once, didn't cool very well. :shakehead:

The stock 16" Chevy Silverado wheels will not go on these trucks? I thought they have the same braking system? :confused: A smaller and lighter wheel with a smaller tire will help E.T in this case. I'm going to try this.

If you want to know what it will feel like make sure your truck is cold. take off the belt drive it down the road and back a short distance when cold. Thats what the difference will be, and there will be a deffinate difference. :crazy:

yes you can fit 16s on these trucks. Im going to when i run next time. and if you dont believe me, go look at your spare tire, it is a 16.

As far as the fans, I didnt see much of a difference, but i dont have actual times to show a difference, im sure i picked up something, but it isnt much.

• 2 months later...
Was thinking of putting a FLEX-A-LITE electric fan on my SS.  Has anyone tried or already done this?  If so, worth the effort/price?

Hey Benkey,

I have the E-fans on mine. They seemed to make a difference in go power when I had them installed and they look like original equipment. They keep the motor at temperature. I also have the under drive pulleys on mine, and I have not yet had it over heat and it gets hot in Austin.

The truck definitely pulls better on the highway passing and the motor seems to get to the redline faster.

I think I may have run into the torque management or messed something up with the flow master install, though. the initial off the line acceleration doesn't seem to be quite what it was with the stock truck, but then again, I have not seen another stock truck since the mods to judge against.

I would definitely do both again.

Archived