Exhaust Question?

z28plus

Cost wise, a catback is not the best. If we had a single pipe back to the muffler, then it be different. But, we have two pipes all the way back to the muffler. If it were me, I'd save a little money by just buying a muffler, then take what I saved and buy some headers. Headers (mid-length/long tube) and a muffler will give pretty decent hp gains for the money spent.

I'm not knocking some of the better catbacks, like Corsa. Just IMHO, they aren't worth it for what you get. Depends on your budget, I guess.

What set-up will give me the greatest horsepower gains. Catback with duals? Just replace the stock muffler? Any other ideas?  I have a k&n and a superchips programmer already done. Thanks

How much for decent headers, and who makes them. Can a muffler shop install those for me?

Headers, mid-length or long tube, will cost you in the neighborhood of $700. The other guys (TOGs), Arizona Speed and Marine (ASMs) are your more common. TOGs are mid-length, 50-state legal, and are rated to give 17hp, I think. ASMs are long tubes, not 50-state legal, and are rated to provide about a 22hp increase.

Muffler shops will install, although not all, but usually charge quite a bit.

Cost wise, a catback is not the best.  If we had a single pipe back to the muffler, then it be different.  But, we have two pipes all the way back to the muffler.  If it were me, I'd save a little money by just buying a muffler, then take what I saved and buy some headers.  Headers (mid-length/long tube) and a muffler will give pretty decent hp gains for the money spent.

I'm not knocking some of the better catbacks, like Corsa.  Just IMHO, they aren't worth it for what you get.  Depends on your budget, I guess.

:withstupid:

Just get yourself a good flowing muffler and have a reputable local shop weld it up. For a nice Stainless steel muffler your probably lookin like $80-$120 plus like $50-$70 to have it welded up. Just rough estaments. other tips and custom Fab work would be more.

I think Cat backs are in the 500ish to 800ish range's.

Cost wise, a catback is not the best.  If we had a single pipe back to the muffler, then it be different.  But, we have two pipes all the way back to the muffler.  If it were me, I'd save a little money by just buying a muffler, then take what I saved and buy some headers.  Headers (mid-length/long tube) and a muffler will give pretty decent hp gains for the money spent.

I'm not knocking some of the better catbacks, like Corsa.  Just IMHO, they aren't worth it for what you get.  Depends on your budget, I guess.

:withstupid:

Just get yourself a good flowing muffler and have a reputable local shop weld it up. For a nice Stainless steel muffler your probably lookin like $80-$120 plus like $50-$70 to have it welded up. Just rough estaments. other tips and custom Fab work would be more.

I think Cat backs are in the 500ish to 800ish range's.

So does everyone think I could get the best bang for the buck eith just a muffler?? Not to mention a better sound from it.

Archived