My SS is bleeding!

Moved my truck out of the garage and noticed a little puddle of "blood." Looks like the transmission is leaking around the front input shaft seal. It is a sad day to have to pull half the drivetrain out to fix a $1.49 part on a $41,000 pickup that is less than a week old and 600 miles. :fume:

Tuesday it goes under the "knife" - I can hardly @^$@$# wait. On the plus side, it won't get dirty sitting in the garage taking up space or burn precious premium unleaded! ;)

SSBleed.jpg

Depends on your goals for the truck, but if you are after a little more performance, you really should have a torque converter put in at the same time. It will save you a day of work or a couple hundred bucks later on if you want one.

Here's one for you transmission experts. Tranny fluid expands as it gets warm, right? That's why you never check it cold because the level will read low. Well tonight I pulled the dipstick to see if with the leak, the level had gotten low and maybe caused some damage.

Imagine my surprise when I pulled out the dipstick and found the level an inch above the top mark! The SS hasn't moved in 3 days because of this problem and yet the puddle under it continues to grow as it sits there dormant. Could this overfill be causing the problem, especially since it continues to leak from the bell housing area and it hasn't run for 3 days? :sigh: Would a simple drain to proper level cure it or is the damage already done to the seal? That would be an easy fix and save it from the rusty wrenches at the dealership.

The left screwdriver is pointing to the top fill line, the right screwdriver is pointing to the current level. :nonod:

blood01.jpg

Was the truck running when you checked it???

I would not trust any reading I got unless the vehicle was running, and the trans was hot. You do not know if the converter is full or not. When the pump is running, it could draw that down and be at the correct level.

To verify your reading, run it. Get the trans hot. Then check it. You will then be speaking from a position of knowledge (to the dealer also). If the trans is overfilled, and you get a leak from a seal........ if you are real lucky, bringing it back to the correct level may allow it to reseal (as there is no longer the high pressure). However, most of the time when this happens, the pressure will actually blow the seal out........ in which case it has to come apart.

Whatever happened, good luck on the fix. :)

I'm not 100% sure if an inch would matter a whole lot... What is that, about a pint?

My '00 ZR2 Blazer was found to have TWICE AS MUCH engine oil in it than it needed, at 1500 miles. That's bad!

• 2 weeks later...

Well the ol' SS has been on the hoist for 2 days now and had the transmission in and out twice. Dealer pulled the tranny, put in a complete new seal kit, reassembled the SS and took it for a test drive. It still leaks just as bad as it ever did. :wtf: Pulled the tranny again and found that one of the machined bores was 0.060" out of round!!! :eek:

GM is sending a brand new transmission overnight from St. Louis - if the new one doesn't leak, my SS will live again tomorrow after two weeks of tranny nightmares! :sigh:

Working on 3 weeks of ownership, with a grand total of having driven it 3 days. :crazy:

Worked at Jainsville, WI airport for 3 years. Saw a lot of parts go in to the GM plant there. After seeing how they are handled, I can understand why you may have a problem. There is a lot that goes into building a truck. Parts come form EVERYWHERE and are handled by people with no sense. Unfortunatlly, there are parts that get screwed up in shipping, that still make it to the plant.

Fortuanlly, I was flying a Citation at the time, that was unable of causing such problems!

I still am glad to own my SS

Good luck!

Archived