Sub box is getting the saw!!

SSThunder

I've decided to make some changes to my new sub box. It's a good box, but it has too much wasted air space in the middle of the box and I need a place to mount my amp. A "behind-the-seat" amp mount didn't work too well for me as the child seat hooks(which have bolts on the back of the rear seat) caused my new amp some pain :banghead: . Just my luck one bolt busted my amp fan out which I had top replace. Any way I'm posting this to show pics of how the project goes.

Here's a pic of the pretty box before it met my saw:

167465.jpg

Here's some pics I took tonight after I cut out the center part of the box and sealed off the sub chambers:

Pic #1:

167467.jpg

Pic #2:

167466.jpg

Next step is to paint the amp mount area black before adding my carpet. This will hid any imperfections in my carpet job. Stay posted for more pics. :cheers:

Hey that looks like my box, good cut and def saved you money from building a new box. What is all that white stuff, you sure used a lot of it. I'm still waitin for my buddy to give me the carpet he took from his audio shop, hope it turns out well. :thumbs:

Hey that looks like my box, good cut and def saved you money from building a new box.  What is all that white stuff, you sure used a lot of it.  I'm still waitin for my buddy to give me the carpet he took from his audio shop, hope it turns out well. :thumbs:

Lots of caulk. I didn't plan to use that much but the tube was old and I had to punch a hole in the side to get any to come out. The back 1/3 and front 1/3 was solid so a small hole in the side turned out to give me more than I needed, but you can never have too much. I just painted over all the caulk with flat black spray paint before I begin to carpet the amp rack area. I've got my spray adhesive and staple gun ready. It won't be the best job, but as long as the visible carpet areas look good, I'll be happy. I'll get more pics as I go.

Good Stuff :thumbs: I just went and picked up some carpet for my box again but its black, but at this point i dont care and best parts of it, i found it at pepboys for $10 for a 3ft by 6ft roll so hopefully i will get this taken care of tonight. Good Luck with that

Looks good. My setup is very simalar.

Did you notice the busted amp fan? My back wall mount didn't work too well. The child seat hook bolt behind the seat went right through the amps fan. That was a fun repair :banghead: . I'm just glad that's all that got damaged. I've got the system setup perfect for me for now. The amp has a built in low-pass x-over with bass boost, but I didn't use the bass booster. I set the amp at a good level for solid bass, but not to loud for the everyday passenger. I then added an external bass booster with an on/off switch which I removed and wired for a 3 way(on/off/on) toggle switch so I could control it from my front seat. The switch allows me to either run my stero, or the amp and stereo or the amp, stereo and bass booster. I love the flexibility and it was fun to do. The wife is happy with it. She doesn't like all the boom boom :D I thought I out grew it, but I guess I was wrong. This is my first subs since college back in 1995. :cheers:

you should see the fun i'm having with my box, installed everything, ran all the wires and no power is gettin to my amp, so i ripped all the wiring apart and re-did it and still nothing. Now I have a feeling the amp is fried for some reason but it worked last time I used it so this should be interesting. By the way i like the new set-up :thumbs:

you should see the fun i'm having with my box, installed everything, ran all the wires and no power is gettin to my amp, so i ripped all the wiring apart and re-did it and still nothing.  Now I have a feeling the amp is fried for some reason but it worked last time I used it so this should be interesting.  By the way i like the new set-up :thumbs:

I know what your going through. I almost fried my amp when I did the back wall amp mount. I was screwing in the positive wire to the amp and touched my extended bit holder to some cables that were grounded. Lucky for me I had an in-line fuse, but still I had to drive 30+ miles late at night to replace the fuse. That was a pain, but I wanted to make sure the amp wasn't damaged from the grounding. Now to install the box and amp tonight and see how everything ifts. I removed the padding under the carpet so I'm hoping the seat will lock down now. :D

Archived