Front Suspension

rmcswain

Crawled up under the SS (with new Blitz Rhino Ramps :thumbs:) after oil change and lube by local Chevy Dealer. I noticed 8 fittings were greased (8 fresh grease/fittings sighted). I noticed 2 other grease fittings with no fresh grease showing (probably were not greased).

The 2 with no grease were located above the steering linkage, tie rods.

Just for peace of mind, if I change the oil and lube the SS, how many grease fittings are on the front suspension--- 8, 10, or how many???????

Also are there other grease fittings other than the front suspension??? Thanks for any help :thumbs:

• 2 years later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread. There used to be a link that showed the location of all the zerk fittings. However, as you can see the link doesn't work anymore. I looked in my older Hanes manual and it doesn't even show them all. Can someone help me list them? I know there are 11 of them.

1- Upper ball joint p-side

2- Upper ball joint d-side

3- Lower ball joint p-side

4- Lower ball joint d-side

5- steering arm, drag link d-side

6- steering arm, drag link p-side

7- pittman arm on p-side #1

8- pittman arm on p-side #2

9- steering box arm

10-

11-

Are the remaining ones, one directly behind the rotor (around the center) each side?

I honestly can't remember and it's getting dark outside and soon to rain.

I'd appreciate the help. It's been over 2yrs since I did this last.

Sorry to bring up an old thread.  There used to be a link that showed the location of all the zerk fittings.  However, as you can see the link doesn't work anymore.  I looked in my older Hanes manual and it doesn't even show them all.  Can someone help me list them?  I know there are 11 of them.

1- Upper ball joint p-side

2- Upper ball joint d-side

3- Lower ball joint p-side

4- Lower ball joint d-side

5- steering arm, drag link d-side

6- steering arm, drag link p-side

7- pittman arm on p-side #1

8- pittman arm on p-side #2

9- steering box arm

10-

11-

Are the remaining ones, one directly behind the rotor (around the center) each side?

I honestly can't remember and it's getting dark outside and soon to rain.

I'd appreciate the help.  It's been over 2yrs since I did this last.

There are 11 in the front. The only 2 you forgot to mention were both outer tie rod ends.

There is one more at the rear if you have a two piece drive shaft. It is located were they meet, behind the carrier bearing. I put 12 pumps in that one with no signs of grease coming out. Though I did notice that I get little to no drivetrain clunk anymore when you select from drive to reverse or vise versa. I guess GM fails to place enough grease in them from the factory.This is the first time I greased that one at 23,000mi.

I recommend greasing it as much as possible.

Jim

I just greased mine after i put new steering knuckles in my truck. if i recall correctally in addition to the pitman there was also an idler arm that had zerks. for some odd reason i recall haveing to get them from the top side of the motor.

if it looks like it can swivel, then find the zerk! i have no idea if this helps.

damn unless we have 2 pitman arms?

Archived