Ram air?

marc_w

Does the SS have any sort of forced induction?

I was working on building a ram air system for my Avalanche before I got hit. I was already looking at some nice seat-of-the-pants gains just from cutting a 4" hole in the bottom of the airbox, and through the steel mounting plate. (I had to leave the factory in-airbox snorkel in place, or I'd get some odd carburetion at lower speeds)

From there, I was ready to hook up a dryer vent hose straight down to a home heating/cooling 5x10 floor duct with a 90* side exit, which was going to be mounted behind one of the openings in the bumper. I had a dryer vent hose coupler epoxied into the 4" hole, to hold the hose on that end. It sounds ghetto, but it wasn't very noticeable. I just never got around to doing it.

I was talking to a Silverado guy who did this, and it improved his 0-60 by .3 (measured by one of those in-car performance thingers)

Just an idea. You'll be out $15 if it don't work out for you.

hey I bought the Volant air intake. It has a 3and1/2 inch hole in the bottom of it for there air scoop so i bought some stuff very similar to dryer vent (only black and a little thicker) and routed it into the opening in my SS bumper. I am very pleased with the gains i recieved

I have the Volant intake also. Sounds like I might have to look at the idea you guys are talking about. Volant says they are still a little ways from producing the air scoop.

Volant is definitely making the scoop - I know a kid who has on in his Avalanche (GM 1500 series air scoop). That's weird they told you they weren't available yet. (Unless they're different for the SS??)

:)

They didn't know as of two days ago if they were different or not. I was told that they were supposed to get a SS in this week to look and see if what they currently have was compatible or if new ones would be needed. He said the hold up was getting one in to take a look at. I plan on calling back in a couple of weeks.

But with all of the less expensive ideas being discussed, I may go that route.

OT:

Does that thing whine, dcains?

I don't recall ever hearing a late model supercharger running. The last one I remember was about five years back. A centrifigual blower, that whistled a bit like a turbo. It was in a older Mustang.

Archived