AWD front diff?

Thanks, I do believe it's a 2-piece axle in the regular 4x4's and the encoder motor engages to lock the 2-pieces together.

So if I were to replace the manual transfer case in my 4x4 Silverado with an AWD transfer case, all I would have to do to make it work like an SS is to make the PCM think the truck is in 4x4 mode, and it will keep the encoder engaged. I believe that's as simple as connect 2 wires together. Does that sound right?

Are you sure it is that simple to do. I had a 2000 Silverado and when I drove with the 4x4 on it didn't like it when I turned. It felt like something was binding it up. It is the same for every other 4x4 I have driven. The SS however is smoth. It just doesn't logically seem right to me that the parts are the same except for the axles.

Are you sure it is that simple to do. I had a 2000 Silverado and when I drove with the 4x4 on it didn't like it when I turned. It felt like something was binding it up. It is the same for every other 4x4 I have driven. The SS however is smoth. It just doesn't logically seem right to me that the parts are the same except for the axles.

The reason 4x4's bind up is because the transfer case distributes power to front and rear evenly and allows for no slip. It is firmly locked.

The AWD transfer case has a viscous coupling that allows it to slip.

• 2 months later...

Archived