Why not lower?

bobjr

So i was just wondering our trucks have CV shafts in the front driving the front wheels, right? Like a front wheel drive car? So why would putting airbags on the truck mess up the front axles? It doesnt on front wheel drive cars? I am not a suspension expert i am just throwing this out there for the guys that know!

The hardest part about it is mounting the air bags themselves it can be done but it would take a lot of work and not worth ruining a good truck IMO. Other front wheel drive cars with bags have a strut suspention and they make bags for strut style suspentions but even then they are pretty expensive.

I know how much it is going to cost to bag the truck but i was told i could not run with it lowered that low because it would mees up the driveline in the front end! NO DRAGGIN? That is what i am confused about will it hurt the front end if i drive with it all the way down?

I know how much it is going to cost to bag the truck but i was told i could not run with it lowered that low because it would mees up the driveline in the front end! NO DRAGGIN? That is what i am confused about will it hurt the front end if i drive with it all the way down?

You will not beable to get it low enough with the halfshafts in the front to drag it with out breaking the half shafts. I used to work at Devious Customs if you have heard of them if not check out their site Deviouscustoms.com. I have bagged many 4 wheel drive vehicles and to get all of them "low enough" we had to disassemble the halfshafts and leave the spindle end inplace to hold the bearing assembly together but you can't do this either with the SS you will waste your t-case. The reason you will damage your half shafts is because the lower you go the more angle you put on the shafts there for they need to get longer they do have some movement built in but not enough to do that I wouldn't go any lower than 3". The only way I can think you would beable to get any lower and retain the halfshafts would be to cut the factory front diff mounts and fabricate new mounts and move the front diff up as far as possible with whatever room is there if any.

what about custom shafts??? they are expensive but possible no?

I dunno about any custom shafts for our trucks that would have more travel but I guess it's possible, although you still have the issue of driving that low with the drastic angle on the halfshaft is going to cause a lot of undue wear!

Archived