Intake systems

I have already installed a Volant intake system on my SS. Volant has an air scoop design that is not yet compatible with the SS, but forthcoming. I spoke with one of the techs last week. You could, as mentioned in previous post, run a duct from the open holes in the bumper to the bottom of the Volant intake box. Although the air scoop they are designing is not available yet, the drop down is already made into the box and comes with a rubber cap over it.

If anyone gets a chance, I would pull your air box out and look at the seemingly tiny hole that this box gets it's air from. Much smaller than my 5.3 had. I have already taken the sawsall to mine. Read a tech article in sport truck magazine a few years back where they dyno tested doing just that and gained 7HP. For only about 10-15 minutes work. Some of you may not want to cut on your truck, but you can't even see it. Did the same on my 99'GMC Sierra.

-Ben

This is sort of a cheap way to get more air, just replace the filter with a high flow, I got a K&N. Then cut out the bottom of the air box leaving just enough material for the nipples to hold the air box in place. Probably not a significant change in HP but it couldn't hurt it any. It does give it a throatier sound. From the top it looks stock and never been changed.

I installed the K&N FIPK cold air package. The tube rubs against the fan shroud due to its size. It makes a noticable low roar. Combined with a Granatelli mass air sensor (cold air calibrated) I did feel a difference although the track numbers will tell the story if it ever stops raining here!...5th strait weekend of rain! :fume: I agree with cutting the fender for more air. You will not get a ton of power from ram air, just the benefit of colder air, not worth it IMO if you get the same flow volume and temp. air from the fender.

A ram air "home" version could be done for about $15 and still look pretty decent. Worth it to me anytime I can give much cooler air than what is trapped underneath that hood. Especially if you were running headers, s-chgr, etc.. those things that add to the heat level.

I would pull your air box out and look at the seemingly tiny hole that this box gets it's air from. Much smaller than my 5.3 had. I have already taken the sawsall to mine.

-Ben

I did the same thing to my S-10 before I put on the K&N system. The G-Tech said .2 sec faster 0-60 and .3 faster in the 1/4. It made the greatest sucking sound when you got on the gas! Lost the sound with the K&N. There was no difference in times between the airbox cut and the K&N.

Have not tried it on the SS. I have this thing about cutting a truck with less than 2000 miles on it! Also, I am more worried about the sharp bend and small diameter pipe just ahead of the throttle body. I want to get the supercharger first, so I can tailor the intake to that.

i put a aem brute force on mine. i could tell a differance right away. not a cold air intake, but i like the fact of it sucking alot more air and not trying to do so through a little hole, besides i think it looks badass. :thumbs::chevy:

A ram air "home" version could be done for about $15 and still look pretty decent.  Worth it to me anytime I can give much cooler air than what is trapped underneath that hood.

Just in case anyone is interested I was able to do what I talked about. For those of you with a Volant intake you can do the same.

I removed the cap from the tube in the bottom of the air box, ran a flexible tube down to the ram air looking section of the bumper, and connected it to a 90 degree dryer vent type connection. I secured it by drilling two holes in my connector and putting it down over the top and bottom rivets that hold the factory section in place. Then further secured with super adhesive metal duct tape. I also painted it prior to, to conceal and put a piece of screen inside the box.

Took it for a test drive and can notice some improvements in the way it accelerates at mid to higher speeds. Using this as a test to see if I want to purchase the ram air kit from Volant when it is released, but may come up with a better homemade version.

Anyone else out there with Volant and doing the same?

Just looked at the SS airbox. Mine has the trailer package. I was told it has a better airbox and a larger air cleaner. Just what I was told. Never really looked into it. (not the reason for the trailer package. I also tow a lot)

Anyway, It has two inlet holes! A large one and a smaller one just below, that both go to a rather large fender mounted cool air intake. I have a hard time figuring out how you could improve on this setup. Where I see improvement is needed, is in the 90 deg bend just ahead of the throttle body. It is tight and small! It must cause a lot of drag where you don't want it. The only way I see to fix that is with forced induction. There is just no room between the throttle body and the fan shroud.

Just my humble opinion.

Archived