Added Bryans PCM & a K&N 77

geomcrider

Yesterday I had a day off. My son and I swapped the PCM out for Bryans tune. Then after that I went down the street to a speed shop my buddy owns and got the K & N 77 for 230 plus tax. (My kid is 17 and I let him do allot of the hands on work...he was estatic)(Father / son quality time) no better way to spend it than wrenching.

Questions, after the installs, I took the truck out and opened her up good a couple of times. From WOT she seam to shift at 5/6k RPM. I don’t know if that’s what she did before as I really didn’t pay attention. Is this normal to shift at that RPM?

There is also no red line on the tach..... (Why) is 5/6 k safe?

I also had 3 grown men in the truck (2 and myself) and I had her up to 95 ish within a least. 1/4 mile. (Ran out of room) There is a Firestone plant by my house that has a secluded area and that’s where I did this. This wasn’t and "exact" 1/4 mile. But I did like the way she was still pulling with 600lbs of people in the truck. Also had aprrox. 100lbs in the bed.

Is there a learning curve for the PCM that will improve?

H.P question...

Stock H.P = 345

With PCM = ?

With K & N = ?

Total I have now?

(Fill in the blanks if you have an Idea) Thanks

Also the PCM install went smooth and had to do the security relearn. (Used a stop watch for watching the times. (No codes or anything)

Thanks in Advance !

George

Not a good idea to test accelleration performance with all that weight... or all those people. I wouldn't take stock rocker arms past 5500 rpm. "Eyeball' 1/4 miles are seldom accurate. Best thing to do is take 'er to the track... remove all the junk and the spare tire too. Drop your rear tires to 19 psi. A K&N alone will generally give you 'bout 5hp. If an automatic... take it out of OD for the run. Unknown on your PCM.

Bryan got 35 (approx) horses at the wheel with his 2004 SS and a tune. I don't know what they crank horses would be (to add on to your 345). In my 2004 SS my 1-2 shift hits right around 6 grand also. 2-3 is closer to 5500 I think. I don't like the high RPMS but shes not up there for long ... I wouldn't get too worried. I am sure you will get lots of more "intelligent" responses to you questions than mine ... but that is the little I know.

** on a side note Megashifter ... I can remember a thread awhile back where they tested whether or not to leave in OD and they concluded it did not make a difference. I wasn't there but that is what they were saying. If you get bored you might do a search for that thread. I'm not a racer so I don't know/care

Archived