Very dissapointed with Chevy quality,

Im in the process of painting the factory grill "inserts". While taking out the main grill wasnt a big deal, nor was taking out the lower grill. As i flipped over the main grill to see where the fasteners were to remove the inserts, yea there arent any. :banghead: It looks as if there were plastic tabs that were melted to hold the inserts in. So this means i need to take an extra hour to tape off the entire grill, only to hope i didnt miss any spots. The lower bumper grill was an insert so that was easy. I get to the brake vents, what a pain. There is no way from what i can tell, just to remove the grill. The entire vent was removed and there was no way to remove just the grill...then upon further inspection i noticed, around the edge of the vent, there was a strip of black tape! Not paint, TAPE. WTF. So ive pulled off the tape and said F it and painted the entire vents. We will see how it turns out. But for a $40k truck, i wouldnt expect the little things ive encountered. :shakehead:

Yeah I noticed that too ... just think of it this way ... one less thing to rattle and make noise. I was more pissed about how it was held onto the truck.

Taping off the grill wasn't as bad as I thought ... but still pretty annoying.

Yep. The thing is, you have no idea what the setup is until you are all ready to go and you start removing pieces. I really would have appreciated being able to pop out the mesh instead of masking off the whole thing.

I had factory black tape on the duct pieces as well. Peeled them off and painted the whole thing.

I am happy with the result but the project took a lot longer than I had hoped because of all the prep work. Hope yours turned out good, too!

Michael

Im in the process of painting the factory grill "inserts".  While taking out the main grill wasnt a big deal, nor was taking out the lower grill.  As i flipped over the main grill to see where the fasteners were to remove the inserts, yea there arent any.  :banghead: It looks as if there were plastic tabs that were melted to hold the inserts in.  So this means i need to take an extra hour to tape off the entire grill, only to hope i didnt miss any spots.  The lower bumper grill was an insert so that was easy.  I get to the brake vents, what a pain.  There is no way from what i can tell,  just to remove the grill.  The entire vent was removed and there was no way to remove just the grill...then upon further inspection i noticed, around the edge of the vent, there was a strip of black tape!  Not paint, TAPE.  WTF.  So ive pulled off the tape and said F it  and painted the entire vents.  We will see how it turns out.  But for a $40k truck, i wouldnt expect the little things ive encountered. :shakehead:

I'm taking my SS in this Monday for some warrenty work and they are replacing my vents because the "tape" is coming off. I don't know if they'll give them to me or not, but I'm going to see if I can have the old ones for some experimenting I want to do.

The vents in the Scoops come out you just have to use a wire diagonal cutter to the rivet and when you want to put them back on Pop rivet it back on. I took mine off completely and just pop riveted on the carriage works insert peices. An just leave the black tape off all-together.

Archived