Stereo Add On

7a7SS

Has anyone added an aftermarket amp and sub(s) to their OEM headunit?

Does anyone know what size sub(s) are in our center consoles?

Who do you like the XM setup in your SS?

Thanks

Seven

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no sub in the center console. The BOSE amp is in the center console. The only speakers in the truck are in the doors, on the A pillar, and in the rear doors. And yes I have added an aftermarket amp and subs to my truck and it sounds real good. I will get some pics up after I finish off the box and amp rack.

Keith

:chevy:

There is no sub in the center console. The BOSE amp is in the center console. The only speakers in the truck are in the doors, on the A pillar, and in the rear doors. And yes I have added an aftermarket amp and subs to my truck and it sounds real good. I will get some pics up after I finish off the box and amp rack.

Keith

:chevy:

I have not opened one up to look yet, but I am fairly sure there is a sub woofer in there. If nothing else, I can feel the console vibrate with the bass in a way nothing else in the truck does. I also see ports that look to be designed for audio, up near the firewall.

The hero card for the Silverado states "Premium seven-speaker Bose system" - where's the 7th speaker if not in the console? :confused: You can get these cards at most dealerships, at two I know of locally still have copies in the lobby.

PDF version (requires Acrobat Reader):

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/news/SShero.pdf

I will take my center console out tommorrow and double check, but we just had my buddy's 2003 silverado non ss apart and the only thing in there was the BOSE amp. I could be wrong but so far every on i have worked on hasn't had a sub in the center console, but none of them were SS's yet. I'm the manager of a car stereo shop here in CT so i hope i'm not wrong cause that will make me look pretty dumb :uhoh::jester: for opening my mouth before i actually took an SS apart. Come to think of it, I've had the new H2 center console apart and there is no sub in there either. I will check it out tommorrow and let you all know.

Keith

There is no subwoofer in the console. just an amp. i had my stereo upgrade done this week and it sounds really good. we added a 10" pioneer sub along with a rockford 900 amp. we tried a couple of different amps and we found that it really likes a high power amp. while we were at it we installed a 10.4" monitor along with a pyle dvd player. that is cool. i am gonna post pictures real soon. hope everyone likes what i have done so far.

Just a note, without removing the console, find some good bass music, turn it up and put your hand down where the console meets up with the under-dash. As dcairns said there are two open ports, one on the driver side and one on the passenger. Playing music with the doors wide open & the environmental controls off you can feel the unmistakable air movement & vibration of a subwoofer. Without yanking the console apart I don't know what size it is but a subwoofer is definitely in there. An amp is not going to move air with the beat of the music by itself. :smash:

I drove a friends Escalade EXT last week. It has the same Bose system. I guarantee you it has a sub in the center console / under dash area. Now, since it is a Bose, it may be one of those 2" little cubes they were famous for.

Based on the frequency response on the RTA, there is a low frequency curve that I don't feel the door speakers can generate. I have yet to see ANY full range speakers or seperates generate this response during a pink noise RTA scan.

20Hz - 10dB

50Hz +2dB

125Hz +3dB

250Hz +4dB

Obviously if there is a sub, it is real weak on the low frequency. However it is all in the tuning freq of the enclosure. I think Bose wanted to have good cone control with low power. I would think it was a wave guide to round out the total sound stage. I would put my $$ on there being a sub driver in here.

Well I took apart my center console last night and to my surprise there IS a small subwoofer in the very front of the center console. It looks like it's about a 5 1/4" woofer and the only way you can see it is if you look from the pass side and get your head right against the floor you can see the grill of it behing the A/C duct. I was hooking up a Line Out Converter for my amp and I found the wiring coming off the bose amp for the factory sub so i just tapped into the wires for my LOC and now my amp and sub sound awesome cause the have a good signal input coming off the bose amp. So I was wrong and there is a sub in there, though it is very small thats why there is not much low bass reproduction. I guess that's what I get for opening my mouth before seeing it with my own eyes. :smash::shakehead:

Keith

bad ss[/b]' date='Jun 13 2003, 09:34 PM']There is no subwoofer in the console. just an amp.
=KeithSS I'm the manager of a car stereo shop here in CT so i hope i'm not wrong cause that will make me look pretty dumb,, That what i thought. Thanks for backing me up bad SS

R U Sure??? :P

As has already been mentioned, there is a small sub located in the center console in the SS. You can feel it from the passenger side if you turn it up and extend your right hand as far to the bottom right corner of the console as possible. You will find a small opening there. Every 2003 Silverado SS has one! :thumbs:

Justin :chevy:

Archived