Finally decided on a muffler!

A"SS"

I had a flowmaster 50 series Big block muffler installed yesterday and kept the stock tailpipe. I am very happy with the sound ( not too lound but still has a great flowmaster feel) Thanks for the info from previous post.

It will take a little to break in then it should sound even better. How much did it cost you to get the install? I have a 50 series on its way and hopefully get it installed next week so I was just curious

• 2 weeks later...

How much was your guys install? I went to a couple of places today to check on pricing and they seemed very high. I bought a used 50 series that has the dumped pipes so its basically a cut and easy weld job but they all wanted a ton of money to do it. When I got my flomaster set-up on my stang it was only $75 for both mufflers and a few other things installed and welded. Every place so far is $100 plus for this job now, so I'm holding off.

Mine install was $205 and that was just for the muffler swap.  I know I got screwed on the price but hopefully not $100 +.  :banghead:

WOW $205, was that with a new X-pipe and everything so you could keep your existing back end of the exhaust. My muffler is already dumped so I figured it was just a simple cut and weld. I have had several exhausts done on my cars and there was more extensive work that needed to be done than what I need now and it was always cheaper so it seemed odd to me. I am still lookin around to see if I can find it cheaper.

I had a flowmaster 50 series Big block muffler installed yesterday and kept the stock tailpipe. I am very happy with the sound ( not too lound but still has a great flowmaster feel) Thanks for the info from previous post.

:thumbs: Good choice enjoy!! I paid $305.00 But I replaced the pipes to come out dual behind each wheel and with the brand new dual in dual out muffler included.

simple muffler switch out shouldn't cost no more than $50. I paid $40 to have my stock muffler replaced with the pro flow 2504 dual in/out. It was a simplet cut and weld job.

Thats what I thought, I took it to a muffler place and they said anywhere from $90-$115 for the swap. I'm not even welding up the back part of the exhaust, just cut the muffler off, give me back the rear part and put the 50 series on which is already dumped. Another guy was like I will do it on the side so I figured ok, thats cheap, he wanted $90, so I passed. I'm goin to a few more places this week till I find a cheaper place. What kind of place did you go to SSThunder?

simple muffler switch out shouldn't cost no more than $50. I paid $40 to have my stock muffler replaced with the pro flow 2504 dual in/out. It was a simplet cut and weld job.

Thats what I thought, I took it to a muffler place and they said anywhere from $90-$115 for the swap. I'm not even welding up the back part of the exhaust, just cut the muffler off, give me back the rear part and put the 50 series on which is already dumped. Another guy was like I will do it on the side so I figured ok, thats cheap, he wanted $90, so I passed. I'm goin to a few more places this week till I find a cheaper place. What kind of place did you go to SSThunder?

those labor prices are extremely high. i would be insulted. over 115 dollars for a muffler swap :banghead: that should take 20 minutes max. i just had my hooker muffler put it, x pipe moved back some more, the entire cat back exhaust changed to fit how i wanted the setup (from true duals to dual to single out. for $90 dollars. that was 2 hours of labor too, and a crap load of exhaust pipes and hangers.

i would keep looking, you should be able to find something better.

I went to a local muffler shop. A guy off CTW recommended the guy so I called them up and got a price. He said around $35-$40, so I was there the next day. It's a simple job. Just replaced my stock muffler and used the same end pipe and tip. I love the louder meaner sound and the exhaust flows better. $90 is a rip off. Some people will try to get ever penny they can out of you. It's hard to find an honest person these days. I would check out CTW(chevytruckwolrd.com) and see if anyone local can point you to a good muffler shop. Worked for me :cheers:

Is there any way to get better sound under power without alot of unwanted rumble when under light throttle? I checked out the Flowmaster website, and the 70-series Big Block muffler-only seems the way to go as it's the quietest they list. It still sounds a bit loud though. Basically I only want a bit more sound under hard acceleration and at higher rpm's. Cruising or from idle-2000 rpm's I'd prefer (and so would my girlfriend) not to hear anything much over stock. Can I have my cake (better sound under power, better flow) and eat it too (quiet when cruising and driving with the family)?

it was the Flowmaster 50 series BIG BLOCK muffler it comes with the 3.5" pipe to connect the muffler to the stock tailpipe Part # 530513 dual in single out. I love it mellow tone not annoying at all when driving and a GREAT sound at idle. Reving it in neutral sounds like a 40 series.

Archived