Brakes

gabbett1

What would be the best brand to use for aftermarket brakes. I think that is going to be one of the first things I change. The brakes on the SS are pitiful at best :sigh: , so if I am going to put any power behind this thing, I want to make sure I can stop it. Plus I would like something that would look good too.

what are you talking about when you say pitiful? do you mean because of looks??? Its not like it has trouble stopping

I say it is pitiful because this is supposed to be a performance vehicle and I feel like my 2000 Z71 stopped better when I had 60,000 miles on it. I would have thought they would have put a better braking system on these trucks, thats all. I don't want to have to put my foot 2/3 way down to stop every time. Granted it isn't going to stop as well as my Z06 did, but I know there are better systems out there. I would have been happy if they had something heavy duty like the 3/4 tons do.

Baer has a kit with 14" rotors front and rear, EradiSpeed +1 for GM Trucks and SUVs . Uses the stock calibers. I've had good luck with Baer.

I was thinking about doing a Baer system. I think a nice aftermarket braking system will add a nice look to that truck anyway.

I'm not on the up and up on the braking systems, so I did not know that Eradispeed was a Baer system. Is that the best system that they offer for trucks? I would really like to have something that had the Baer name on it in stead of using the stock calipers. You guys know more than me. Please advise!

Thanks for the posts guys :thumbs:

your z71 probably did stop better, it wasnt trying to stop 20s. thats the problem with these trucks, there is a lot more weight that is spinning that you need to stop. This truck doesnt have a lot of things done to it that make it differ from the regular trucks. I dont think my truck has stopping problems, until i drive my dads z06, so i know how you feel. It also feels like it is really lacking in the power department as well :uhoh: i wonder why :confused:

i cant really help you out on the brakes, i never really looked into it, but stillen does make some good stuff for trucks, They have some good braking systems, you may want to look at them as well

All depands on what you're willing to spend. The Eradispeed+1 goes for somewhere around $1300 and keeps the stock caliper.

Other upgrades that you change out the caliper start around $24-2500 and go way up from there.

schklege, one of the forum members, who also drives a SS ordered the eradispeed. May want to ask what he got out of his upgrade and find out if it is what you want, or if you want to go the more expensive route. Last we heard, he was still waiting for the stuff to be shipped.

schklege, one of the forum members, who also drives a SS ordered the eradispeed. May want to ask what he got out of his upgrade and find out if it is what you want, or if you want to go the more expensive route. Last we heard, he was still waiting for the stuff to be shipped.

Where does he usually hang? I would like to find out what he thinks of them.

It also feels like it is really lacking in the power department as well  i wonder why

I know what you mean. I think a lot of it, as far as what people have been discussing, has to do with the fact that the truck weighs 5000 some pounds and that it is all wheel drive. The all wheel drive really saps the power from the engine by the time it gets to the asphault. I once read that someone was looking into some aftermarket mods that would utilize some of the Z06 components. I would really like to see what that would do.

Well, I'm back from vacation (sorry for the delay in responding), and I called Baer this afternoon. Guess what? "Looks like those should ship in 3-4 weeks sir."

I ordered them in early April and was told they would ship in one month. I called 4 weeks later and was told 2-3 weeks. I called again during late May and was told 3 weeks. Now I'm told 3-4 weeks.

So, I asked them to please reverse the charges on my debit card, leave the brakes on order, and call me back in 2 weeks to update me.

We'll see.

Wow, sorry to hear that. I watched Trucks on TNN this weekend and watched them do the upgrade on a Chevy truck. Seems pretty straight forward.

Did they say specifically what the holdup was? Are they striking in China somewhere......having design probs....?

-Ben

Same story as before: they are being lied to by the supplier of the brackets (for the rear only; I believe they have the front ones in stock). I've had the same problem myself with outsourced items--a source of constant frustration in the world of business. Still, I'm sick of waiting and hearing the same story every time I call.

• 3 weeks later...
I say it is pitiful because this is supposed to be a performance vehicle and I feel like my 2000 Z71 stopped better when I had 60,000 miles on it.

I'm sure your Z71 stopped better, you just have to remember, the SS is ALL WHEEL DRIVE. You have four wheels with power to them rather than just two.

Same story as before: they are being lied to by the supplier of the brackets (for the rear only; I believe they have the front ones in stock). I've had the same problem myself with outsourced items--a source of constant frustration in the world of business. Still, I'm sick of waiting and hearing the same story every time I call.

Hey, how about some pics of your upgrade. I know you got it in now and doesn't take too long to install. Give'em up, I'll post if you're post challenged. Send them to me, if you still have my email address.

-Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Archived