Any Mr. Goodwrenches out there?

Any Mr. Goodwrenches out there know of a service bulletin or something about radio interfering with operation of truck. Seems when I crank up my radio (2 way not stereo) past 600 watts the engine stops. It’s not the alternator pulling it down, it’s RF from the ant getting into something. All of the gauges drop to the left for a second. One time I caught “Battery not charging” on the DIC. The amplifier has it own separate electrical system that is not tied into the stock system.

It’s hard showing restraint keeping down the watts. It’s like horsepower, just got to show it off sometimes.

I use to have a modified linear that I can open up garage doors when I keyed the mic. It was in an old truck without much electronics so it didn't matter much.

Good luck isolating the beast from all the sensitive electronics in the SS :banghead: I don't even know where to start. :confused:

Well if the engin turns off, does it just shut down like the key was turned off or does it halt like a screech or belt grab?

When you say it is separate from the electronics of the silverado what do you mean.

You should have a power wire running from the factory battery to your amplifiers. Then grounded properly after that. Also is the headunit aftermarket?

Update.

I had the coax cable coming from the center of the roof and back to the driver’s side rear column. It was right next to the rear window defroster. I pulled it out and ran in down the plastic more towards the door jam and it seemed to help.

Before @ 600 watts the engine would die like the ignition was cut off. It would come right back on unless I keyed up for several seconds then I would have to restart. Real fun going down the highway.

Now starting at about 1200 watts the engine stutters but doesn’t cut off. In fact I can go all the way to high and it does the same thing. So I’m on the right track.

Next step is to find an easy place, before it goes up in to the dash, and put some ferrite chokes on the power wire of the rear window defroster, dome light and cargo light. Would be nice if they all came to a common point some where.

6.0SS I have a second custom wound alternator with external diodes and regulator. It has it’s own batteries and nothing is common with the trucks stock electrical system. That way if I’m out in the middle of no where and I fry it. The truck will still get me home. I keep the stock belt in the truck too. Here is a link for that.

http://www.chuysautoelectric.com/index.htm

Sounds like an awesome set up!! But I can't in my right mind figure out why it would kill your engine unless the alt has so much friction that it stops the engine??, A good test would be to keep the second alt installed but disconnect it from power and see if just running off of the battery the truck does the same thing.

Just a wacky scenario I saw one time with a person that had a second alt, He could not figure out why the car would never start with the new alt (connected and installed on the belt system). What was happending was his positive from the alt was flipped with his ground wire connection. so the chassie was no longer a ground but a short and nothing in the car was getting power, that one took a while to find and fix.. Hope you the best in your quest for more power!!

Ever hear the phrase. "save some for a rainy day?" Sounds like you better start thinking of that for your hearing. 600watts? Just can't imagine what that is like. Got a guy in my office with two hearing aides. Guess what he used to do a lot of?

Good luck finding your problem.

• 2 weeks later...
hahahahahaha im working on my 2400/4800 watt audiobahn system (thats subs only!) should have alpine speakers and head tho with bass cutouts that should be a low sperm count AND be def

Seriously, Be kind to your ears. I have hearing loss due to loud audio systems. I would listen to 160dB systems daily without hearing protection. I have been in systems pushing 175dB w/o hearing protection. When you compete, you just really don't care about your hearing,...just the trophy and the mag shots.

Today, I wish I wasn't so ignorant :nonod:

Archived