CARB laws

vtodd82

ok, i know there are sniffer tests in many states/cities. i may be getting relocated very soon to the chicage area, and i know they have the sniffer test. if i were to get ASM headers, will i fail due to a visual inspection, or is the visual inspection only in california? any insight i would aprecciate.

thanks

todd

you do know carb stands for california air resources board right?

yea i knew it stood for california ? ? ?. i knew it was polution related to california laws.

my questions is, do other states visually check for a carb sticker ( i know, i know ...prolly stupid question) but iam just curious.

i wanted to get ASM longtubes, but now i may have to get TOGs becuase of moving to chicage area where the sniffer test is in effect.

thanks

you do know carb stands for california air resources board right?

yea i knew it stood for california ? ? ?. i knew it was polution related to california laws.

my questions is, do other states visually check for a carb sticker ( i know, i know ...prolly stupid question) but iam just curious.

i wanted to get ASM longtubes, but now i may have to get TOGs becuase of moving to chicage area where the sniffer test is in effect.

thanks

headders will not affect your smog in any way shape or form the CARB deal here in CA is just a way for the state to F%*# with us. As long as you have your cats your ok!

I do not know what vehicle emissions laws are like in Chicago, I've never lived there and someone else will have to answer. But I can tell you that if you show an out-of-state mechanic a CARB sticker they will have no clue what it is, or what it means. The other states do not have all the legal paperwork hoops that CA does. But many counties and communities have adopted CA-like regulations. It is all up to the local county or even municipal laws.

I have lived in all the western states, and generally the more population there is the more severe you can expect emissions control to be. The smog laws in Phoenix and Tucson are very severe, as bad if not worse than southern CA, but the smog problem is really worse there too. In Albuquerque they have a "federal smog equipment check", they eyeball under the hood for OEM emission controls but no sniffer test; in rural NM there is no inspection at all. Texas (and most other western states except CA) are very similar to NM, counties with lots of people have stricter emissions control, where I live there is no emissions enforcement and a guy can get away without cats if he wanted to.

Mr. P. :)

Archived