Different Shocks

ctrow

Has anyone tried using the Edelbrock IAS shocks yet?

I've heard good things about them but haven't ever ridden in a truck that has them on it. Where I live, the cement highways sometimes have a little washboard action goin' on and it feels like I'm riding a wild bronco. (Of course I could add a few hundred pounds in the bed but that would hurt performance.)

I realize it's just part of a truck and having a light ass end but I was looking for alternatives.

Has anyone tried using the Edelbrock IAS shocks yet?

I've had them on my last two trucks. Great shocks. Don't know that they would help or not. They also have a reputation for leaking. I'd go with Bilstein myself. I was a little surprised that this truck didn't come with to begin with.

Good info. What shocks does the SS come with? Whould a new / better shock really help the ride quality, or is ride quality more a function of the suspension system? (torsion bar front and leaf spring rear)

I believe the shock that is under the truck now is the same stock shock that comes with a regular Silverado. It's the standard blue shock that GM puts under all of their trucks. Not sure who makes them - might have an AC Delco name to them.

I don't personally think that new shocks would help with the ride quality very much for the problem being discussed. I think it's pretty good right now. I plan to change mine when I go to work on improving the handling. The handling on the truck is pretty decent also, but would be much better with a new front and rear anti-sway bar. Just waiting for Hotchkis to make the things. Will probably go with Bilstein after having the Edelbrock. I don't think you can get any better than Bilstein. Just MHO.

-Ben

The edlebrocks are much much better than bilsteins. Weve had a few cars with bilsteins and never liked them, they all ended up with edelbrocks. They are a great shock and ive never had a leakage problem, even on the ones that i had on my suburban that would see a lot of offroading.

I say go with Edelbrocks or some HALs, those are great shocks too, I want to do some HAL coilovers up front and get rid of the stupid torsion bars :D

The Edelbrock will help with the handling of the truck - that I know. I don't think the ride can get much better.

The first truck I put them in, a S-10 4X4, I actually had to learn to drive it again, so to speak. They improve the cornering so much that the way you were used to taking curves changes.

The first I heard about them leaking was from the Tech guys with Hotchkis Performance. This was after I had already bought them (second set) for my last truck, a 99' GMC Sierra. I never had a problem with my S-10. But, when I traded in my GMC, to get the SS, the right rear shock was leaking. They have a limited lifetime warranty on them (not sure what it is limited to) and will probably replace for you. That's why I had always kept one front and one rear box, but I never sent the damn thing in for some reason. I also kept one stock shock, front and rear, to throw in just in case I had to send one in.

I only say Bilstein because I have heard so much good things about them. Hotchkis offers them w/the complete handling packages they sell. Mercedes and a few other luxury cars use them. I never have used them. Just always told myself that if I ever buy another set it will be Bilsteins. Call Edelbrock and ask them what they have done to improve on that problem. My last set had less than 20k miles on them. Let us know what they say if you call.

-Ben

Archived