Damaged Wheel Question

cwest94

Well yesterday I hit the storm drain at the top of my street and smacked my front wheel into it. The damage seems to just be cosmetic. Does anyone else see any problems that I should worry about?

P4170375.JPG

P4170376.JPG

Also, does this mean I can join the damaged wheel club now? :cry:

Looks like there are no obvious cracks...and if you're not feeling any vibration, chances are it's just cosmetic.

That looks pretty minor to me. Use a little sandpaper to knock off the rough edges, then polish it up (or wax it)...you'll hardly notice.

- Brian

The rim can be fixed, I've done worse, one to thing to look out for is make sure your tire doesnt start to bubble out where you hit the drain. If you start to get a bubble thats not good and replace it ASAP. I have 2 rims that have marks like that and I have an appointment to get them fixed next week. So it is fixable. Good Luck with that

Ouch, I hate when that happens, I did that to my 18's on my s-10, but I cracked the wheel and popped the tire. So yours look like nothing compared to what I did. Like the others have said, it can be fixed.

Thanks everyone. :thumbs: I dont really have any extra money right now to do anything with it. I was worried that it might not be safe to keep on, I do a lot of high speed, I mean highway driving. :D

Hope to get chrome wheels in the next year and use the original as winter wheels.

Looks like there are no obvious cracks...and if you're not feeling any vibration, chances are it's just cosmetic.

That looks pretty minor to me.  Use a little sandpaper to knock off the rough edges, then polish it up (or wax it)...you'll hardly notice.

- Brian

What grit sand paper would work? If I can do it myself then I wont take mine in to a shop that will charge me $$$ that I really dont have at the moment. And also polish it up with what? Thanx in advance

That looks pretty minor to me.  Use a little sandpaper to knock off the rough edges, then polish it up (or wax it)...you'll hardly notice.

- Brian

What grit sand paper would work? If I can do it myself then I wont take mine in to a shop that will charge me $$$ that I really dont have at the moment. And also polish it up with what? Thanx in advance

:withstupid:

Me wants to know too.

Something like a 200 should be fine (you want to not leave any deep scores).

This will probably expose the primer, or leave it bare AL...but with a touch of wax, it'll look shiny silver and hardly noticable I'll bet. I thnk as long as it has the right shape (smooth) and some shine, it will kinda disappear.

- Brian

Archived