Flex-A-Lite PN#282

MN C5

Mike, installed the electric fans today. Very nice kit, brackets wiring ect... I'll try and get some pictures up in the morning. We are leaving for Cedar Point, Roller Coaster Capitol of the world imho.... :D

The truck started, but the fuel is way lean at idle. #7 was way lean at idle it smoothed out at higher rpms though. Only had time to run 1 program through it tonight. I have other plans for the evening and Saturday is busy I really want to get it running before we take off for the week. Wish I had more to report

I can't say enough good things about the Radix kit. This is a very well engineered kit... Mike is doing the install which turned out like all his work Top Notch. :thumbs:

The only thing left to do???? Tune it without a dyno... :wtf: We've got a portable wide band which should help with the tuning.

The flex-a-lite fans are very nice. After you get everything going and have some miles under it, report on how often they come on and what temps you see.

Thats interesting about #7. Most of the motor / piston problems I've seen with superchargers involve #7. I thought it might have something to do with the intake, but you don't have an intake.

Honestly, a portable wideband is the preferred method for tuning. You get to see how your motor and truck perform under real world load conditions. The typical dyno tune doesn't always give the best results because the motor isn't under the stress of moving the 5000 pound truck around.

Glad to hear its running right.

.......a portable wideband is the preferred method for tuning. You get to see how your motor and truck perform under real world load conditions.

I guess most of your conversation is lost on me and that's really okay. But could you tell me what a portable wideband is? Is that like the g-tec?

I'm getting the flex-a-lite fan very soon myself, so that part I definitely got.

Not giving you a hard time BigTex/MN C5, I really am interested.

-Ben

.......a portable wideband is the preferred method for tuning.  You get to see how your motor and truck perform under real world load conditions.

I guess most of your conversation is lost on me and that's really okay. But could you tell me what a portable wideband is? Is that like the g-tec?

I'm getting the flex-a-lite fan very soon myself, so that part I definitely got.

Not giving you a hard time BigTex/MN C5, I really am interested.

-Ben

The wide band is basically a sniffer you stick in the exhaust while you drive around. The read out is in the truck and you can tell if the truck is running lean or rich.

The truck has about 100 miles on it with the new combo. I'm happy :D It pulls pretty hard for a truck ;) I'm off to Cedar Point... Looking forward to riding the new dragster!!

The flex-a-lite fans are very nice.  After you get everything going and have some miles under it, report on how often they come on and what temps you see.

Thats interesting about #7.  Most of the motor / piston problems I've seen with superchargers involve #7.  I thought it might have something to do with the intake, but you don't have an intake.

Honestly, a portable wideband is the preferred method for tuning.  You get to see how your motor and truck perform under real world load conditions.  The typical dyno tune doesn't always give the best results because the motor isn't under the stress of moving the 5000 pound truck around.

Glad to hear its running right.

BigTex #7 is still throwing misfire codes so the injector and coil are being R&R'ed. The fans are adjustable and work well with the 160 degree stat. Temps seem to settle in at the low 180s at idle outside temps were in the mid 80's.

Over the next week we are adding

1. A boost gauge.

2. Fuel pressure gauge.

3. A larger tranny cooler.

It was a real bit@h to get to idle. It also appeared to run out of injector @ 4500rpm's so I'm going to up the fuel pressure for starters. :smash:

Benkey - The wideband is an O2 sensor. The factory GM oxygen sensors we have are only accurate in their specific range (14.8:1 air / fuel ratio, or Stoich). The wideband O2 sensor is accurate at other air / fuel readings. Under normal driving conditions, the PCM reads the factory O2 sensors and tries to keep air fuel at stoich. That is 14.8 parts air and 1 part fuel. That is the point where power and efficiency meet. Any leaner, you lose power and any richer, you lose efficiency. But when you go to wide open throttle, more fuel is added to give more power. Somewhere around 12.5 parts air and 1 part fuel. Since the factory O2 sensor isn't accurate at anything other than 14.8:1, tuners use a wideband O2 sensor that are accurate in a range of air / fuel readings. When tuning the truck, using a wideband is the best way to accurately see if you are running rich or lean. They are expensive too.

Thanks guys for educating me a little.

On the subject of the Flex-a-lite fan, do both of you, BigTex/MN C5, feel that it cools better than the factory fan on the SS? And horsepower.....does it really make a diff? One you can feel? They claim a decent amout of recoupe. Have you guys used before?

-Ben

I had a set of LT1 fbody fans on my Z71. I could tell a difference at low rpms. The engine would rev easier and didn't have that "whirring" fan noise the stock one does. I think electric fans are worth up to 10 HP.

I had a set of LT1 fbody fans on my Z71. I could tell a difference at low rpms. The engine would rev easier and didn't have that "whirring" fan noise the stock one does. I think electric fans are worth up to 10 HP.

Do they cool better. Some past user of them on here said they didn't cool as well. Is that an issue?

Archived