Almost gave me a heart attack

Well got my SS last saturday. Took it back to the dealer for undercoating. They paint the wheel wells, frame ect....black to prevent rust. Also looks good. Anyway, I went back a few hours later to pick it up and before I jumped in of course I checked it out. There was black spats of paint all over the body. The S**T was everywhere. My stomach was in my throat. I charged back in and snapped. The manager said, "Oh, this is unacceptable". I said, " Ya, no s**t". They took the truck back in and removed all the black paint which was everywhere. It was on the corner panels, bottom of doors, bumpers, and even a few specks on the hood. Anyway, they used a type of solvent which doesn't hurt the body paint but left nasty streaks that only wax got out. They gave me the rest of the bottle in case I found any more.

Now that im ok, the undercoating is a great idea. Just be careful. :thumbs:

This will be the first out of last four trucks, including the wife's Trailblazer, that I didn't want undercoating. Just didn't think I needed this time.

Glad they were able to get it all off for you.

-Ben

Ben, Any particullar reason?  Just out of curiosity.  By the way, how did the other ones go?  Any problems?  ty

My wife's Trailblazer has had no problems because of the undercoating. I never had any problems with any other of my vehicles that had it either.

The reason I didn't get was kind of two-fold. First, was I didn't get offered any kind of aftermarket products at the time of my sale, and really didn't even think about. In my last three purchases, I was offered undercoating and paint protection. I never got the paint protection but always got the u/c. When I actually thought about it after I got it home this time, I rationalized not needing it. Right now I'm in FL, and although the air is salty from the beach being 5 miles away, I obviously don't have to worry about the salt on roads from snow/ice. And then I thought, did I ever really need it. I don't really think I did.

The second reason was I enjoy the clean look underneath. Also, getting underneath the thing, a lot of stuff already has a coating on it. That along with other info I read on here, made me believe I didn't need, but really didn't want.

-Ben

If this is the textured tar-based undercoating, it actually PROMOTES rust rather than prevents it.

I don't know. :eek: The dealer said it prevents rust from rocks kicking up into the well, salt on roads during winter months ect..... Ya know, I really didn't even think about it. I remeber always wanting it done on my last ride because the frame looked so bad (rusty looking), so I said ok, do it. How does the tar-based cause rust? Traps water???

BenKey the whole underneath is black. Actually looks really good/clean. Your right, you don't need it there. Glad to hear the trailblazer had no problems. :P How long did she have it for or has it?

Glad to hear the trailblazer had no problems. :P How long did she have it for or has it?

We've owned the Trailblazer going on two years now. She now wants the 04 Impala or MonteCarlo SS, both supercharged next year.

One other thing, although minor that I didn't like about the u/c, was when I went to do all the stuff underneath that I had done to my last truck, I always got the stuff all over me. It stays fairly soft and comes off on to you if you have to grab a hold of something that was coated or brush against. Don't think this truck will have me doing much more than anti-sway bars/shocks underneath though.

-Ben

When I was shoppping my SS at three different dealers, they did not recomend the u/c.

They all offered it and showed me disclaimers saying they were not responsible for voiding my warranty. It turns out the fine print in the GM warranty will not cover under coating and some types of bed liners. So, I went with the clearcoat and no u/c.

If this is the textured tar-based undercoating, it actually PROMOTES rust rather than prevents it.

I don't know. :eek: The dealer said it prevents rust from rocks kicking up into the well, salt on roads during winter months ect..... Ya know, I really didn't even think about it. I remeber always wanting it done on my last ride because the frame looked so bad (rusty looking), so I said ok, do it. How does the tar-based cause rust? Traps water???

Yep, that's exactly what it does.

I have two older, identical cars. One a year older than the other. One is an '88 Cutlass Supreme, it's not undercoated. The other is an '89 Cutlass Supreme. It was undercoated. Although both cars were purchased used, we've had them both for about 8-9 years. The non-undercoated one is still perfect underneath with just a film of dirt. The undercoated one is rusty. Both cars have similar mileage and been driven on the same streets. I also had an old 1978 AMC once. It had been undercoated. The exposed painted metal was fine, but the undercoated areas had obviously trapped water. When I peeled off some loose undercoating, it revealed bad rust beneath. In several spots, the old undercoating was completely responsible for several rust holes.

Click & Clack also say DO NOT get the undercoating as it traps water.

The best protection is an oily, waxy substance known in Europe as Waxoyl. I don't know what they call it here, but it stays greasy to the touch. It even soaks into any existing rust and repels moisture. I think it has to be reapplied every year, however. I have a friend in Canada that has a similar substance sprayed under his car every year and it seems to have done a good job repelling rust.

Archived