stainless brake lines

I just spent the afternoon putting on my Earls front brake lines. The lines look real nice but i think they could've come up with a better mounting bracket then a wire hold down clamp. I took the calipers off to paint them but after the first coat of paint I brake cleaned it off. I bought a can of spray caliper paint, but the color looked more orange then red so I'll do that some other time. And after that it seemed like bleeding the brakes on to a new painted surface didn't seem to good of a idea either.

I had to go out and buy a vacuum bleeder to. We couldn't get any brake pressure at all doing it the regular way.

Seems to help a little. it doesn't feel all that much better, but now i can brake stall to 2000 rpm when i could only go to 1700. I hope the rears help a little more when i get those on.

Did anyone else have a problem with bleeding the brakes. I'm glad i read someone else's post to about needing a t-55 socket to get the calipers off to, that saved some time.

Brad

Only problem I had was my wife's leg was getting tired from all the pumping. :)  Other than that, nada.

I had my dad pump the brake for some time and didn't even push air out. Maybe it was because i drained the whole system. I heard if you drain the system on a ABS car you have to bleed the brakes under pressure or something.

Brad

I flushed my entire system. It is not good to "drain" it. There always needs to be fluid coming from the reservior, otherwise air gets in the system from the reservior side and the whole system needs to be bled.

Not sure if that is what you done or not.

I flushed my system. But, I pulled out as much old fluid as I could, filled the reservior with new fluid, changed lines starting with the rear lines (opened up bleed valve and let run until new fluid was visible - then bled), then line to rear axle, then fronts. All the while keeping plenty of fluid in the reservior.

i put 3 car batteries on the depressed pedal and did it that way, kind "ghetto" but thats what yah do when your in...............the "ghetto"

That wouldn't work when you actually need to pump the brakes vs just mash them. If you did it this way, wouldn't surprise me if you didn't have air in your system.

I get to do this over the weekend!! :-)

Buy the $50 vacuum bleeder. I think that was the key for me. After that worked I started to think...well maybe now i'll do the rears instead of taking it in to the dealer. But now my BBK 80mm throttle body came in and my volant ram air so i have plenty to do.

I flushed my entire system.  It is not good to "drain" it.  There always needs to be fluid coming from the reservior, otherwise air gets in the system from the reservior side and the whole system needs to be bled.

Not sure if that is what you done or not.

I flushed my system.  But, I pulled out as much old fluid as I could, filled the reservior with new fluid, changed lines starting with the rear lines (opened up bleed valve and let run until new fluid was visible - then bled), then line to rear axle, then fronts.  All the while keeping plenty of fluid in the reservior.

Thats just what i done.....

I think after i get the rears done, I'll vacuum bleed it, then take it in and have the whole system power bleed.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
SO how much of a diff did they make??  were they worth it??  where did ya get them??  thanks :driving:

the feel of the brakes are better. I can brake stall 200rpm higher now without pushing through the lights.

I got them from jegs but had to wait 2 months for them. I'll have to see how much i paid...i think it was like $130 or something.

Brad

Archived