Some more AMP questions

Just curious if anyone could possibly know what this problem is one of my amps have been having. I have a phoenix Gold amp that hasnt been used in a while and when we hooked it up, it worked kinda. It was pushing the subs but the whole time the amp is making a constant beeping noise. I recall it ever doing this before but now it is. Does this sound like a over heating situation. It happens as soon as its powered up and doesnt stop, doesnt even have time to heat up. ANy Ideas?

I am not too familiar with PG amps however a few q's for you:

What is your input voltage on your RCA's?

What impedance are you running?

I have a feeling that the "beeping" you hear is a protection device of some kind telling you that something is not quite right.

1. Incorrect impedance

2. Low input voltage (RCA's)

3. Low or High power supply voltage

4. Internal fan malfunction (does your amp have fans)

5. internal X-over issues

6. A/C ripple from your alternator (sure the beeping isn't from your subs?)

I believe that PG has a tech hotline you can call as well.

Let us know what turns up! :confused:

I will look into some of them things. Its def not coming from the subds when its hooked up. I dont know about the other stuff like low input RCA's, or the power supply things. It works fine with my other amp hooked up so I dont se why anything should change with this one. However it does seem like the constant beeping is coming from the side where the RCA's plug in and the controls are for the cross over, bass ect.

Sounds like there a problem with the amp, when it powers up it goes into the protection mode. I had one awhile back didnt care for the amp couldnt take a beating and stay running it was alway shutting and going into thermal shutdown protection.

What could be the cause of this though? I'm guess something like a resistor or something went. I mean it still works like it should but it has a steady beeping noise to it. I didnt run it to long just cause i didnt know what was goin on but it powered the subs still so thats what confused me, i would think it wouldnt do anything.

If it is a PG TI series amp, I have 5 of them in my truck and the beeping is caused by the fans spinning and they squeek at a constant pictch that sounds like a beep. The remedy the issue you must either send in for service if they still have warranty or. if they are out of warranty ,put a drop of oil on the ballbearing of the fan assembly, (ONLY A DROP AND DON"T GET IT ANY WHERE ELSE)

If you have the tantrum line, some of those have fans I think, so check that out. if it is a solid state heat sink, something internal is going on!!

Archived