Switchin out my sub

I have a single thunderform box under the rear passenger driver side seat. I had 2 12's before but changed it out to go with one 10" so i had room on the other side of the seat to put things. I am happy with the sub thats in there now(MTX 4500) but would like to get something a little more powerful that will hit harder on certain occasions. That set-up would be awesome if i had the other 10 to go with it on the other side but i dont. My mounting dept is only about 5.5 inches so I figured someone here may know a sub that can handle more power and give me the extra thump. Someone said to check out the infinity 1030W but i dont know much about them. Anyone know what 10" I can possibly switch in there and still fit but have better bass. I was thinkin possibly a MTX 8000 but wanted to hear any other opinions first. I know several people switch out there thunderform subs that come with the box but wanted to see who has and with what. Hope someone can be of assistance. thanx

right now i'm running 240rms I believe to the sub in 4 ohm load bridged. i dont remember :banghead: The amp isnt that good but I have two others. I have a phoenix gold XS2500 and an Orion...., the orion is in storage so I cant remember the model number but it can be ran at like 1000watts in 1 ohm and still be stable. I'm really tryin to see what sub will fit in the thunderform then i will work with the amps from there.

Phoenix Gold specs XS2500

Current Amp for the MTX (specs)

I will see what the orion is once dig it out of storage

A sub enclosure is usually designed to have a cetain sub because it was designed to use the subs specs to the fullest. Putting a sub in the wrong enclosure can really sound like $hit. If you have an audio dealer near you talk to them and maybe they will let you test some different subs and see if they will work for you.

I know certain enclosures are meant for certain subs for the most part, but I have read about a lot of people changing out the subs in their thunderform for different ones and they sounded better, just cant find where i read that. I may even sell the thunderform and just do one 12" and build the box myself but we'll see.

I have a single type R-12 under the back seat of my truck, with a fake sub box on the other side for storage.. I listen to just about everything rock, classical, country, rap, meta,l you name it and its very versatile.. I did have to make a fiberglass box for it but, it was worth the extra effort.

I'M FOX_FORMA B*TCH .....  :crackup:

:crackup: Yeah, but I wanna know if F_F has a 50-Cent ringtone on his cell phone?! :jester:

Ummm funny thing is I actually do( In da Club), it also has the words, along with a beastie boys one(watcha want), jay z( I'm a hustler) and many otheres :crackup:

After messing around a little bit with the sub i have it sounding a lot better. I think because i had the amp bridged giving me continuous 240rms it was getting distorted for some reason. i hooked it up normally to left speaker on the amp at (+) and (-) which gave it more clarity and even tended to hit harder. My question is now since its not bridged i believe I'm running at 120wrms for that sub. Am I right? If this is correct than can i hook up my phoenix gold amp which has more output so that i can get it to max power output of the sub without all the distortion from when my current amp was bridged? Hope I'm making a lil sense because I'm startin to confuse myself.

Just remember you dont want to under power a sub but you dont want to over power it either. And best is to set up your input sensitivity for each amp. You dont want to clip the amp distortion causes damage.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you ever heard of Planet Audio? I can get a VX2200D 2 ch amp for cheap.Would I be able to add this and two subs to the Bose system and still keep the stock head unit :confused:

if all your trying to do is hook up an aftermarket system then you dont have to change out your head unit. Look in the How To section and there is a huge thread about hooking up the PAC adapter for an aftermarket system

Archived