Headers, and High flow cats.

Guys I am in the market for headers and Hi flow cats. I have been looking at the Dynatech's. I think my procharger and tune have clogged the cats, So this gives me the reason I need to buy more stuff. :devil: Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Wiz

I had the dynatech system with cats on my truck and I liked them a lot. Another good set that came out recently is made by stainless works. here is a link to it on ls1tech. go to the second page and you will see a system on a 4wd with high flow cats. looks good :thumbs: If you call up stainless works get some pricing on them and post it up if you get a chance. I am curious to see how much they are :dunno:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums//showthread.php?t=327718

I ended up calling and getting the price break down, from a guy named brian. If enough people are interested maybe we could get a GB on them. just a thought

$ 699 for the t-304 stainless headers

$ 899 for headers and off-road mid/y-pipes

$ 1199 for headers, mid/y-pipes, and highflow catco cats

These do not come with any hardware such as header bolts and gaskets.

For any of you FI users, I've got a couple of suggestions:

If possible, install headers and front pipes without cats. Bring those pipes into an X-pipe where they pass over the cross members. From there, install your cats after the X pipe. Finish off the exhaust however you want - duals, back into a single, whatever... This will allow equal flow through each cat and provide flow to both sides if one cat does fail. Also, temperature will be less so you run less risk of destroying your converters due to heat.

Also, if you are replacing your cats, look into buying a set of metallic substrate converters instead of stock style ceramic substrate converters. They cost more, but flow much better and will stand up to the heat better / longer without failing.

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/powercat.htm

Ceramic on left / Metallic on right

comparison1.jpg

Here is some info on the metallic converters I found:

Catalytic converters for exhaust gas purification incorporate a honeycomb-like structure called a 'substrate' onto which the catalytic material is deposited. This substrate may be made either from a ceramic material or from ultra-thin metal foil. Ceramic substrates dominate the markets with the largest volumes, primarily because they are mass-produced and cheap. However, metal substrates offer the following advantages:

· The metal foil is only 0.05mm thick, compared with a typical wall thickness of 0.16mm for a ceramic substrate. Therefore the obstruction to gas flow is reduced significantly.

· Metal has a lower specific heat capacity than ceramic materials, meaning that metal substrates reach their operating temperature more quickly after a cold start.

· They are less brittle than the ceramic type, meaning that they are more resistant to damage caused by shocks and vibration.

· Metal is able to conduct heat more rapidly than ceramics, which helps to prevent localised overheating by dispersing the heat throughout the substrate. This contrasts with the situation encountered with ceramic substrates where localised overheating leads to irreversible damage to the catalytic material, and ultimately to substrate meltdown.

graph1.gif

Archived