Coolant runs at 205 w/ 160 tstat???

misterp

I've been driving my SS for a couple weeks now, and noticed that the coolant temperature is running just a hair under the 210-mark on the dash guage, almost exactly where it was before the thermostat swap; it stays at this temp regardless of the outside air temp. Also I estimate that the ATF temp is around 180-ish, a little warmer than before the 2800 converter but not out of line IMO. I have not been in a panic as the temps are stable and nothing is overheating, but I am not seeing the decrease in coolant temperature everyone else does :dunno: I am using the Hypertech 160-tstat (bought from TByrne) and PCMForLess tune... would any of you more seasoned tuners think something is out-of-place here or have any troubleshooting suggestions?

Mr. P.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stock fan?

The only time I came close to temps like that, even in the hot weather I live in, was when my electric fans were acting up.

Air in your cooling system, maybe?

FWIW, I have the 160 stat and for the life of me, with my fans working correctly, can't get mine over 180. Do you have logging capability? What does the ECT show for temp?

I'm seeing the same thing in the heat, Mr. P.

The thermo doesn't actually control how hot you run -- just the minimum operating temp. As Ben mentioned if your fans aren't up to the ambient conditions, you'll run hotter. I'm going to try some water wetter this weekend.

BTW-- I don't think you'll see much cooler ECTs if you have the stock fan with its clutch.

I went out and took a closer look, I spoke wrong on the trans temp, it's 170 (perfect).

BenKey: no I don't have logging software so I can't offer anything there. Yes I am running the stock fan/clutch. If you say that your does not get hot then something must be wrong on my end.

The temp does not creep during extended hot idle, so the problem is not the fan or radiator. And the fan is really pulling a ton of heat out of the radiator, the underhood temp is definitely higher than I remember. I think you guys are right maybe I haven't burped all the air out of the system yet? I was also thinking maybe I was running too much glycol in the coolant, but I don't think so. I am also thinking of getting a disposable strip guage to double check the dash guage.

I been having the same problem. I changed my stat last week. It sits right at

185*, but when I have the ac on or step on the gas it climbs up to 205* fast.

It comes back down when I turn off the ac.

I added one bottle of water wetter but I might add another one.

i've seen the same issues this week. my fans are working right, my tstat is a 160 and my temps go up to 205ish range. This is only when i run my AC on 3 or higher. Of course it was also 101 outside so a little warmer. Before the heat though my temps never got over 175ish. If i turn the AC off the temps go down eventually but its too hot to leave them off :)

i've seen the same issues this week.  my fans are working right, my tstat is a 160 and my temps go up to 205ish range.  This is only when i run my AC on 3 or higher.  Of course it was also 101 outside so a little warmer.  Before the heat though my temps never got over 175ish.  If i turn the AC off the temps go down eventually but its too hot to leave them off :)

Well my first thought was that the truck doesn't have a large enough radiator to cope with full A/C, large tranny cooler, aftermarket tune, and high-90s. The only thing that made me think otherwise is what BenKey and others have said, that they have no problems keeping the temps at 180. But since several others are seeing this as well I am starting to reconsider my original idea...

Mr. P.

Ive seen the same thing on mine when running with the A/C blasting when its hot out but i come down and never goes over that 205 ish,

Well that has me almost convinced, the OEM radiator cannot shed the heat; I'll bet that you could run the truck without a thermostat and it would still run at 205, because that is where it reaches thermal equilibrium...

yup got a big ass tranny cooler sitting in there as well....

which was kinda crappy too cause my tranny temps got near the 180s. That was in stop and go traffic as well, and i like to spool up the turbo every once and a while :devil:

yup got a big ass tranny cooler sitting in there as well....

which was kinda crappy too cause my tranny temps got near the 180s.  That was in stop and go traffic as well, and i like to spool up the turbo every once and a while  :devil:

:D Yup I hear you, leaving work to terrorize the streets is what I live for! Traffic in Sac was a biatch when I lived there and my sister tells me it has only gotten a ton worse...

Called Joe Gutierrez (JAG Performance) he assured me that yes, what we are seeing (205-degree temps) is typical and to be expected, he has checked on other trucks and removing/remounting the extra tranny cooler made no difference; the truck could just use a little better radiator. :sigh:

Mr. P.

Archived