Warning about Flowmaster muffler kit

ArrivalBlue03

I decided to go this route because of the nice size of the factory pipe and the cost involved in a cat back system. This is not to slam Flowmaster, but be prepared before you cut off your stock muffler, there are problems with the install. I got the muffler kit part #530513, two 3" clamps and two 3.5" clamps, all 4 the Supertrapp brand band type clamp made of stainless. Three problems with my install:

1.) the Flowmaster instructions are very good about where to cut the factory exhaust, but the inlets on the muffler are WAY to big. The o/d on my factory pipes is 2.75", but the inlet on the muffler is 3"-you do the math. By this point I obviously had the factoy muffler off so I had no choice but to continue. This made my muffler install a weld in instead of a Bolt in. Luckily I have a MIG, so this didn't really cost me anything.

2.) using the muffler and the extender pipe they send you do not fit perfectly. The muffler is slightly tilted, which I don't mind, but what does bother me is the outlet location: it is impossible to get it back where it belongs, which makes it look funny. The factory tip is cut to follow the side of the body, and this puts the thing at a different angle.

3.) The Supertrapp clamps are worthless on a Flowmaster , case closed.

All these things combined made my install a problem, but it is done and I will say it sounds nice, but it was a pain in the ass, and now all the joints are welded, which I didn't count on.

On my truck I could not get the tip back where it was. It looked funny because the tip was made to sit at the original angle, and it sat at a different angle from the body, so it kinda looked like you backed into something and bent the tailpipe. I just changed the tip and called it done, but it annoyed me to have to go to these lengths because I wanted the original tip in place.

I have had that kit for 2 years now and my install was easy, clamps suck and leak, so i welded everthing. I had a exhaust shop make some couplings for the front to adapt the pipes. welded every thing up and total time took about 1 hour. that kit is actually for a HD with the 6.0 so the exhaust is a little different.

Just put the 530513 on my truck, and it fit perfectly except for having to size down the inlets, which is no big deal. Just cut a piece of pipe that slips over the stock exhaust, and slips inside the new inlet on the flowmaster. I had it all welded on for $50.00.

• 4 weeks later...

When I had mine installed they cut the muffler to fit the pipe so its all the same size with the stock pipe in and out both ends,all welded. I went with the 70 series just right not too loud unless you gas it. :driving:

Glad you shared that!! I thought about putting one on mine, but now I think I might do some more lookin. Thanks! :P

I decided to go this route because of the nice size of the factory pipe and the cost involved in a cat back system. This is not to slam Flowmaster, but be prepared before you cut off your stock muffler, there are problems with the install. I got the muffler kit part #530513, two 3" clamps and two 3.5" clamps, all 4 the Supertrapp brand band type clamp made of stainless. Three problems with my install:

1.) the Flowmaster instructions are very good about where to cut the factory exhaust, but the inlets on the muffler are WAY to big. The o/d on my factory pipes is 2.75", but the inlet on the muffler is 3"-you do the math. By this point I obviously had the factoy muffler off so I had no choice but to continue. This made my muffler install a weld in instead of a Bolt in. Luckily I have a MIG, so this didn't really cost me anything.

2.) using the muffler and the extender pipe they send you do not fit perfectly. The muffler is slightly tilted, which I don't mind, but what does bother me is the outlet location: it is impossible to get it back where it belongs, which makes it look funny. The factory tip is cut to follow the side of the body, and this puts the thing at a different angle.

3.) The Supertrapp clamps are worthless on a Flowmaster , case closed.

All these things combined made my install a problem, but it is done and I will say it sounds nice, but it was a pain in the ass, and now all the joints are welded, which I didn't count on.

I had a local muffler shop put two 40 series flowmasters on mine, then back into the single tip. They had to order center in-center out mufflers to do it, and the tip was a little lower.....but all in all it sounds really good and still has the "stock" look to it. Which is what i was looking for. :cool:

I had a local muffler shop put two 40 series flowmasters on mine, then back into the single tip. They had to order  center in-center out mufflers to do it, and the tip was a little lower.....but all in all it sounds really good and still has the "stock" look to it. Which is what i was looking for. :cool:

Archived