Road rip

TMBRWLF1997

Taking a trip with the SS from here to Biloxi , Mississippi to see some friends stationed over there. Really looking forward to the drive, not looking forward to the gas mileage. Any suggestions on saving gas besides keeping my foot out of it? Would lower octane fuel be alright for the trip or would it cause engine damage? :dupe::dupe:

I also recently installed new red and black neoprene seat covers. Little expensive, but I think they will be well worth it.

Also, if anyone is on the way or has time for a New Orleans trip. Maybe we could go to Pat O'brians for some Hurricanes.............................. :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Fold in your mirrors..... :crackup:

Well, aside from swapping out your 4.10 gears for 3.73's or 3.42's, you're pretty much stuck with what you have. On open, flat stretches of road, put your crusie control on. Cruise has been shown to get poorer mileage on roads with hills on them, though, so take it off then.

The LS1-based motors are most fuel-efficient between 1800-2000 RPM's, so whatever speed that translates into is the speed you should be traveling at for mileage purposes. When I had my 3.73's that was 75-80 MPH. :D With my 4.10's it is 65-70 MPH. :(

Good luck, have fun on your trip!

I averaged ~15mpg for an 840 mile round trip recently, with my average highway speed a little better than 80mph.

Stock-ish SS...just Magnaflows and a K&N drop-in.

Loaded with me, the wife, and the dog...plus maybe 150lbs of tools and clothes.

For what it's worth...

- Brian

You'll be coming right by me.

The local news channel tested a few things that "claim" to increase gas mileage. The two items they tested were the tornado and Lucas oil gas treatment.

They started with the gas treatment, by the way cost $3 at Autozone, and they got between 2-3 more mpg. The benefit outweighs the cost of the product. So, that's one good one. Also, you can do for every fill-up.

The tornado, surprisingly, did pretty well. It cost $75, but did avg the same improvement as the fuel treatment.

Both together would probably work well for a long trip.

• 2 weeks later...
Well Ben, Maybe we need to make a pitstop on the wayto biloxi.  it would be on a 17 july that the wif and myself will be going by.  Heading to Biloxi and then to NAWLINS

Could be here, not sure. Haven't decided what day exactly I'm leaving for RI. It will be around that timeframe.

Archived