Progress on Wheel well inserts?

Banone

I remember a while back someone was having some inserts for the open wheel wells on the SS made at a friend's fabrication shop. I was just wondering how the progress was coming because I have an idea to expand their coverage a little. Let me start by explaining my current situation. I live in Idaho and my wife and I started going with the in-laws camping in the mountains this year. We really are getting serious about buying a 5th-wheel camptrailer. Until now, we've just thrown a tent and a four-wheeler in the back of my 93 1500 GMC and taken it up the gravel roads in the mountains. Now, if we get the 5th-wheel I'll need the power of the SS to pull it. However, the thought of what all the rocks will do to the painted ground effects on the SS is hard to stomach.

I'm already planning on getting a new set of wheels and tires that have 8 or 10 plys on the tread instead of the 4 ply rating the stock tires have, in order to handle the hazzards of mountain driving. My idea was if those wheel well inserts could some way have detachable "quick release" fender flare/mudflaps built in to the design. That way, when I go camping I could put on these guards but be able to take them off when I get back without having holes left in the fenders. The detachable part could extend out about 2" around the fender opening and have a nice wide mudflap incorporated in one piece. This way I could breathe easy while crusing down the gravel roads and still look cool on the street when back home.

Just an idea. If there is already a product like this to fit the SS or if someone can think of a better solution, please let me know. If this sounds like something someone could produce I'm interested. Thanks.

shopman1 is working on some inserts. Drop him a line.

I have done a prototype and am having it stamped out of plastic now and will put it on the forum in about two weeks and will most likly sell them.

:cool: I have the first set cut out hard rubber material. I am going on vacation next week so I will most likly have pictures of the before and after in about two weeks. These will creat a full wheel well cover and extend the flat part on the bed down as well. So, hang in there, I plan to have them punched out by a lazer and will sell them. I need to do some drafting first.

I have also put a strut from the frame to the front of the lower bumper, it stiffens it up - check yours its kind of flexible and with the billet grills, it puts an additional strain on it.

I have also put a strut from the frame to the front of the lower bumper, it stiffens it up - check yours its kind of flexible and with the billet grills, it puts an additional strain on it.

Can you shoot a picture of it? I may want to do also.

-Ben

I'm definitely interested in these, shopman1. Have fun on vacation, then get busy with those pictures! (And don't spend too much money on vacation--I don't want to have to pay for it when I buy these inserts. :D )

Archived