First Truck I Liked

BlkStSS

Growing up in the Northeast during the 70's and early 80's, in the Suburbs of Boston 4WD pick-up trucks were, if not common, at least around. However, these were work trucks, used for plowing and not seen during the rest of the year. 2WD trucks would be used by guys (never woman) for I do not know what. Extended cabs were rare, maybe the occasional Ford SuperCab. I cannot think of a neighbor or friend who owned a truck until after high school. Maybe we were odd up here then, but now every extended family has at least one pick-up around, everyone drives them, men, women, children and seniors.

My Cousins in York PA all had pick-ups 2WD, 4WD and one monster mudder truck that I could almost not get into. So I knew the as you got into the country the perception of trucks was different.

I liked cars, the rarer the better, a Maserati Quattroporte for a family car, Ferrari 308 for sports car (Magnum PI anyone?) Not that I knew any one that owned these, Oldmobiles, Chevy and Fords were the standards, a Cadillac was rare, a Lincoln MK III was the fancy car on my street. Trucks were always in my consciousness though, The Dodge Little Red Express, Or Jim Rockford’s Fathers GMC 4X4 are the first trucks I can remember liking, but it took me until 2001 to buy a Silverado, and just 2 years to buy the SS. I still love cars and that is another reason to love my wife, I can drive her Acura TL S-Type whenever I like!

What was the first pick-up truck you liked? What was the first one you owned? This question and answer will be changed by where and when you grew up, some of you cut your teeth on trucks, other are probably like me, experiencing trucks but never owning one until adult hood (or 2nd Childhood!)

Scroll down for pictures of most of the cars and trucks I mentioned.

84maserati.jpg

f_gtbgts86.jpg

1970_Lincoln_Cont_Mk3.jpeg

1978_LittleRedExpressFlyer_Front.jpg

29229163.jpg

Rocky's truck was the FleetSide at the back of the picture.

29111549.jpg

The first "pick-up" that I liked, was the Chevy 454SS. Although growing up my Dad's two-door Blazer was pretty sharp and fun to drive, not a pickup though. I never really cared for the older body style Chevy pickup, with the exception of the 454. '99+ bodystyles is what hooked me for life.

A Ford was never an option. Your pref in make is ingrained in you from your parents usually. My Dad is a die-hard Chevy man.

First I owned was a '91 reg cab S-10. Driven more by what I could afford at the time. Been driving pickups ever since.

Grew up in FL.

First truck was 72 chevy 1/2 ton sb lowered ,283, 4sp,2 85 toy sr5 4x4LB, 3 74

chevy hd 1/2 ton 454 LB , 4. 94 GMC Z71 extcab SB , 5 03 SS

Those are just the trucks to many cars to list Chevys,Ponchos,Buckets,Fords

Darren :flag:

Probably the first one I liked that I can remember was the 4X4 in the Fall Guy series.

My first truck, which I still haven't finished, is a 70' cheverolet stepside. I've got a 68' front end on it. It was painted 90' S-10 Teal green. 305 TPI, shaved firewall. Started on it when I was 13 but never got it finished. Still sitting in the garage waiting for me. Just too many other priorities in front of it. I'll post some pictures someday. I think everyone will appreciate it.

After I graduated college I bought a daily driver. 2002 GMC SLE X-cab. But it didn't have the flash I wanted so it got traded in.

Current love....the SS.

A truck that comes to mind that I really liked was a '74, 2 dr., 4X4, Jeep Cherokee. That sucker was a beat around in truck but would go most anyway and pull almost anything. Best part is drove it for about 5 years and sold it for more than I gave for it : That has never happened with any other vehicle that I have owned

I have just been adding it as picture, so I just figured out how to make it a signature!

I took it at the entrace to a local golf course as the sun went down, I was just playing around with the settings on my digital, and that one came out better than expected. Nothing like a clean black truck! But then you would know that! Tonite I have a 2 hour ride in a mist/rain, it wont be so nice tomorrow!

Archived