Front differential gone at 57,000 miles

I'm looking for some suggestions on how to handle this problem. A friend of mine has the truck at his shop. The driver's side bearing wore out, allowing the c/v joint to wobble and the yoke is rubbing, sending shavings all through the assembly. I had the truck in to the dealer at 10,000 miles and they flushed it then. I'm going to go in to the dealer on Tues and see what they can or will do for me. The truck is completely stock, no upgrades, and I really feel I shouldn't be having this kind of problem at 57,000 miles.

Side note, if the dealer won't fix, my friend recommended replacing the whole assembly with a Jasper unit, for about $1,700. Any other ideas or better suggestions?

Please help!!

I'm having problems with my diff (or maybe the transfer case) too.

What kind of noise(s) were you having?

I get a weird noise like the brake-pad indicator is chirping when I turn the wheel to the right. It doesn't always happen, but it's rather often. It makes me worried, because my first thought is that it's a CV joint issue. All of the boots are fine though...

That, and since putting my stock cam in, the motor is much queter at cruise and light throttle. I hear a rotational whirring/grinding noise all just about all speeds, coming from what I believe to be the front end. It sounds like the typica noise you get when tuning, just in a straight line too.

I'm at about 42,000 miles.

I'm sure all of these dealers are aware of the problem with the front diff on our trucks. A friend of mine had the same problem on his Escalade with AWD. The dealer flushed and inspected mine twice, once at 10,000 miles and again at 35,000.

The service manager at my dealership also has a black SSS and he had his changed out.

The good news is it looks like GM is going to change it out for me as a "goodwill warranty repair" and might even pick up the towing charge. Keeping my fingers crossed though cuz it's not back yet and I haven't heard the final word on any expense.

As soon as I get home from San Francisco, Im taking mine in. What I have is the 'wooooooooo' sound from the front diff. Accelerating, at speed, and slowing down. It only does it with the wheels straight ahead, at 55 and up mph. I know its getting louder-now I can hear it with the radio up and the sunroof open. I can also feel it through the steering wheel. Im going to tell my dealer it just started, that its getting worse fast, and that gear whine means gear wear-my years in svc dept showed me that time and time again.

I want the whole thing changed out. Not gonna have em replace the ring and pinion, then have the whole thing fail because of axle bearings.

I should be able to pull this off, because I only have 3900 very careful miles on it.

I just dont want a hassle or a bad repair job---I traded a 2001 Tundra on the spot because they couldnt do me right on a warranty repair. And Ive been Chevy loyal for long enough to deserve to get the whole job done right the first time.

In fact, Im gonna call em and make the appointment now.

That's awesome they're picking up the tab. I feel as though they should though.

Unfortunately, I NEED my truck for the next week, to do some stressfull work with it. (towing a camper 300 miles). I'll have to go shopping for a 'yes' when I get back.

I'm looking for some suggestions on how to handle this problem.  A friend of mine has the truck at his shop.  The driver's side bearing wore out, allowing the c/v joint to wobble and the yoke is rubbing, sending shavings all through the assembly.  I had the truck in to the dealer at 10,000 miles and they flushed it then.  I'm going to go in to the dealer on Tues and see what they can or will do for me.  The truck is completely stock, no upgrades, and I really feel I shouldn't be having this kind of problem at 57,000 miles.

Side note, if the dealer won't fix, my friend recommended replacing the whole assembly with a Jasper unit, for about $1,700.  Any other ideas or better suggestions?

Please help!!

you can get a brand new one from the stealership for around $1000.00 and it takes less than an hour to change it

Got my truck back from the dealership Friday. They rebuilt the front diff, replaced everything but the housing. All covered under "goodwill warranty". They even picked up the tab on the towing. Nothing but kudos for the dealership and service manager, and I'll stay a loyal GM buyer!!

Got my truck back from the dealership Friday.  They rebuilt the front diff, replaced everything but the housing.  All covered under "goodwill warranty".  They even picked up the tab on the towing.  Nothing but kudos for the dealership and service manager, and I'll stay a loyal GM buyer!!

WOW!!! Right on.

Mr. P. :)

Archived